Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11ax video/audio network

We are implementing a VLAN in a confined environment which combines both wired and wireless connections. We currently have multiple Full HD (1920x1200) video cameras, each streaming >3.3Gbps, so we are using 10Gig switch over RJ45. The video is multicast to multiple (≥4) station computers over copper to be displayed over multiple wired FHD (1920x1200) displays (≥6), where a user may select any feed independently of the other stations, and additionally, we also have portable displays (≥2) for which we are investigating the wireless solution. The wired display employ DisplayPort, and the portable displays employ HDMI. The portable displays also have a USB interface for control and data exchange as well as audio from/to mic/speakers. Overall latency is very critical. Hardware size at the portable displays is critical.

I recognize that the audio can be embedded in the HDMI channels at the source computer and extracted at the display HDMI ‘receiver’.

I have been looking into the 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) scheme, being faster than the 802.11ac Wave 2 (Wi-Fi 5).  According to Qualcomm this Wi-Fi 6 delivers sub-mSec latency.

At least for the ‘source’, I saw the Cisco Catalist products. It would appear that the 91xx products support implementing these functions. Being that we have the 10G VLAN switch, I also saw the Catalist 9300-24UX-E, and 3850-24XU which appear to combine the 10GbE switch and the 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 schemes.

Please comment/recommend an implementation set of products and if utilizing MU-MIMO &/or Beamforming will be useful.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a read of this:  Wi-Fi 6 hits 700Mbps in real-world download tests

Notice this test was done in an "aerospace facility".  Imagine a large aircraft hanger where all sides are made out of metal.  

If you want to get 160 Mhz channel width, then you'll need to think about hosting this in an environment where there is no other wireless within 100 metres radius.  

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
As Leo says. If you really need wireless monitors, then you first need to heavily compress the image signal, I suggest to get to ~20 Mbps video stream. That should be possible with a H.265 compression device. I think there are some which tout a low latency for the compression.

Thanks you for the response. 

I need the Full HD resolution and therefore cannot compress the ingested video not to mention the added frame latency.

The only lower latency (sub-frame) compression format I am aware of is the VC-2 HQ (Dirac Pro), which was proposed to SMPTE for standardization.

You don't have to lower the resolution, just remove redundant information. Of course, this only works for secondary monitors and probably not for primary ones.

In any case, there are various products on the market, like this one: https://www.socionext.com/en/products/assp/h264h265/X500E/ (first google search result) which only generates a maximum of ~50ms. And forget real-time without latency on wireless, this is not possible, if you need quality. The lowest latency I know, is the analog stuff the drone FPS pilots use, with horrible image quality.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card