Helpful
Replies

9800 and 5520/5508 anchor mobility

Michele Toblini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

my situation is the following:

5520 anchor guest with an old 8.2 code connected to several wlc to allow guest to be propagated.

now on a branch we need to deploy a new wlc 9800 to replace (in the future) an old 5508.

I read the IRCM document and it pretty clear how to make the WLCs work together for the roaming.

But i have doubts regarding the anchor mobility. Correct me if I'm wrong but new 9800 supports CAPWAP tunnels and the mechanism is called Secure Mobility. If we had used old mobility (EoIP tunnels) we would have to upgrade the anchor guest (5520) to a specific AireOS version (8.8) to make both "worlds" to work together. 

Right now we are using new-mobility because on a branch they put a 3650 switch which acts as a WLC (Converged Access). And as far as I know new mobility uses CAPWAP tunnels. 

So for IRCM we need to upgrade the WLC 5508 to 8.5.164.0 and it's pretty clear to me. What is not clear is if new mobility can work with 9800. TAC told us that new mobility is not supported anymore in AireOS but if i see documentation: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/new-mobility-matrix.html it is. 

We should go back on all controllers to the "old mobility" during the migrations?

Thanks for the answer.

Michele

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You can have the 5520 and 5508 talk to the 9800 

for that you need on the 5520 something > 8.8 

and for the 5508 as the higher code you can use is 8.5 you need the IRCM version for now 8.5.164.0

Now for the 9800, 3650 & 5520 that is not a supported scenario. 

You will need to have a dedicated anchor to support your foreign WLC using convergency solution (3560,3850,5760)

and another anchor to support the foreign with 9800,5508,5520 (AireOS WLCs).... 

Saludos,
Rafael - TAC

View solution in original post

From my experience, if it’s not mentioned that it’s supported, then it’s 99% not supported. Cisco is moving away from CA, so I don’t see why they would invest in supporting new mobility especially when CA wasn’t working well. Many whom have implemented CA have moved away from that design. Just figure out a plan when you migrate to the 9800, so that you have it covered. Probably a good idea to test also in a lab and make sure mobility does work in your case.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I may be able to dig-up a Cisco Live presentation which I once   saved, stating that for the 9800 , IRCM compatibility with AireOS required at least 8.9 or 8.10.x. Hence I don't think it can be done with the 5508 which only supports up to 8.5.x

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_c9800_wireless_controller-aireos_ircm_dg.html 

look at this documentation, it can be done. Anybody knows anything about my questions related to anchor mobility?

You can have the 5520 and 5508 talk to the 9800 

for that you need on the 5520 something > 8.8 

and for the 5508 as the higher code you can use is 8.5 you need the IRCM version for now 8.5.164.0

Now for the 9800, 3650 & 5520 that is not a supported scenario. 

You will need to have a dedicated anchor to support your foreign WLC using convergency solution (3560,3850,5760)

and another anchor to support the foreign with 9800,5508,5520 (AireOS WLCs).... 

Saludos,
Rafael - TAC

my plan was to get rid of 3650 Converged access anyway. so what you are saying is that 9800 doesn't support new mobility? because i couldn't find any information of that. 

My issue is that all my controllers are using new mobility and if 9800 doesn't support that i have to go back to old EoIP mobility tunnels and it's quite an effort because i need to reload all wlc.

Thanks in advance 

Michele

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If you do look through the documentation you posted, the 9800 is not there as a supported device. Like mentioned in the other post, the 9800 does not support new mobility and AirOS code only shows support up to 8.5. It looks like you will need to look at what site uses the CA platform and maybe replace that first which then you will need to also change the mobility. You can also look at implementing a temp or permanent new anchor controller and migrating sites to that when you roll out the 9800’s. Converged Access didn’t work out so well and is no longer in the plans for the future moving forward. So customers using CA will have a lot to look at when they migrate to any new solution.
-Scott

Hi Scott,

thanks for the clarification but i looked at the documentation and it is not written in an explicit way that new mobility is not supported. I just wanted to be sure and I had to go back to EoIP mobility tunnels (it's painfull :().

I will just register the APs that now are connected to the 3650 to one of my WLC in the headquarter and use flex connect (thanks God we have MPLS in the middle). 

From my experience, if it’s not mentioned that it’s supported, then it’s 99% not supported. Cisco is moving away from CA, so I don’t see why they would invest in supporting new mobility especially when CA wasn’t working well. Many whom have implemented CA have moved away from that design. Just figure out a plan when you migrate to the 9800, so that you have it covered. Probably a good idea to test also in a lab and make sure mobility does work in your case.
-Scott

Tob
Level 1
Level 1

To further clarify, this compatibility matrix states that from XE 16.4 and onward, new mobility is not supported:

"New Mobility is not supported in Cisco Wireless Release 8.6 and later releases, Cisco IOS XE Release 3.10 and later releases, and Cisco IOS XE Release 16.4 and later releases."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#pgfId-201465

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: