hi all 
can you help me i need to buy access point with only 1 km diameter 
which model will help me ?

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
can you help me i need to buy access point with only 1 km diameter 

No AP can have a 1 km diameter radius coverage because this will be against telecommunication laws.  

802.11a and 802.11b technology leverages the ISM bands and these are free. 

1 km is our company diameter i will not cover outside my company 

Cisco Aironet 1300 Series can cover more than 1 km 

You will need a lot of APs to cover 1 square kilometres.  If you don't know what you're doing, then I recommend you need to get a wireless site survey done.

The Cisco 1300 Series could do a point to point link over 1km but if you are looking to actually provide client coverage to devices such as laptops, smartphones, barcode scanners, VoIP phones. There is no access point that is legal that will allow you to accomplish that and actually even if you were able to cover that large of an area with a single access point the devices themselves wouldn't have sufficient transmit power and antennas to communicate back to the access point. You are likely going to need atleast 1,000 access points to cover that area.

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Take a site survey : https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/69268

There are some other factors that play into like retries,etc.... but that's why the typical rule of thumb is 20-25 users per radio on an access point.

Venkatesh Attuluri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you need to consider several factor when you plan for wireless  such as bandwidth, protocols, frequencies, Determine density, cell sizing, antennas, coverage.you need to  Determine application and device requirements

User density is the critical factor in the design. Aggregate available bandwidth is delivered per radio cell, and the number of users and their connection characteristics (such as speed, duty cycle, radio type, band, signal, and SNR) occupying that cell determines the overall bandwidth available per user

The required per connection bandwidth will be one of the imp factor in determining the number of AP's needed. you need to keep in mind that this is shared medium and available bandwidth is shared so  AP placement is crucial. For more insight check the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1250-series/design_guide_c07-693245.pdf

And one access point will not be enough for 1km diameter . getting a site survey done will be a good idea

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card