Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Points Data Rate Unstable

i have two wlc 2504 and multiple AP 2800 registered on them , i had problem related to signal power so i increased transmit Power to 1 for all Access points , after that the Signal was very good and data rate in client pc became (800 Mbps) but something happened as data rates sometime on client unstable sometime became 800 or 900Mbps and then flap to 400 or 350 Mbps , so what is the problem of that ?

2 Replies 2

Bobby Stojceski
Level 1
Level 1

How far are the clients from the access points? I'm curious about the signal power issue you mentioned. You set the power to level 1, so they were previously set to something lower or did the WLC auto assign a lower power level? Note that at least 3 AP's need to see each other for RRM to do it's work and set power levels, else you'll find they're all power level 1.

The reason for asking about distance is due to a couple of reasons:

1. Since you're wanting high throughput such as 800Mbps, we're dealing with the 5 GHz network.
  2. The 5 GHz network, whilst less susceptible to interference, does not have as good range or penetration.

So I have a few questions:

• How far is the client from the AP?
  • Are there obstacles in between the client and AP?
  • How many SSID's are you broadcasting on the APs?
  • How many clients are connected to the AP simultaneously?
  • What kind of switch is the AP connected to and can you post the config of the port including a "sh int xx/xx" (interface and port type in there)
  • Do you have any QoS configured on the SSID?

Remember that setting an AP to '1' makes it 'full power', but that doesn't mean the client's radio can transmit data back to the AP. Ideally the AP and client transmit power should match (such as 17dB). 

Also bear in mind, at least in the 'Z' domain of WLC's and AP's, WLC version less than 8.3 suffers from lower transmit power, even at power level 1. I have found in many cases, power level 1 is 13dB (AP model dependent), whereas upgrading to 8.3 jumped the same AP up to 22dB. From 8.3 this is fixed, but be weary of going of going to 8.3 unless you really really need to.

yes WLC was auto Assign , so some AP were tx power is 1 and some was 5 or 3 , so i did manually all other AP to be 1 

what is configuration recommended on WLC related to RRM for AP set its tx power to 1 ?

• How far is the client from the AP? 
  •       not far , i have installed about 13 AP in the floor so every client is near to AP 
  • Are there obstacles in between the client and AP?

no there are no obstacles is is open area and some rooms with light door

• How many SSID's are you broadcasting on the APs?

3 SSID ( 2 with authentication dot1x , one for guest and open)

• How many clients are connected to the AP simultaneously?

about 25 to 30 user , i have about 300 user in the one floor

• What kind of switch is the AP connected to and can you post the config of the port including a "sh int xx/xx" (interface and port type in there)

Cisco Switch 

show run int gi 1/0/5

switchport trunk native vlan 90

switchport mode trunk 

srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5

priority-queue out

mls qos trust dscp

auto qos trust

• Do you have any QoS configured on the SSID?

No

WLC Version : 8.2.151.0

kin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: