Views
Helpful
Replies

Access points taking IP address from Different Vlan

syed ziyauddin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working for a system integrator and am new to wireless networking.

For one of my client, I configured core switch with 3 vlans and WLC-2504 as follows.

Core SW: Vlan-1 for Management, Vlan-2 for Data/Company wireless users and Vlan-3 for Guest wireless users.

Created separate DHCP pool for Vlan-2 and Vlan-7 in the core switch, also configured Option 43 HEX value and default router under dhcp pool.

WLC is configured with 2 SSID's  and connected in access switch port configured as a trunk.

There are 22 AP's in total, 14 of them are connected in the Access switch  ports(Vlan-2) and 8(Vlan-7).

when I access WLC through GUI, I can see all the AP's got registered in the WLC. 

Problem I am facing is my laptop is taking IP address from Vlan-2 when I am connected to the AP of Vlan-7.

I removed the AP from the switch port configured for Vlan-7 and connected my Laptop. My laptop is taking IP-Address from Vlan-7.

Core SW configuration...

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.64.96.1 10.64.96.45
ip dhcp excluded-address 10.29.96.1 10.29.96.45

!
ip dhcp pool vlan 2
network 10.64.96.0 255.255.248.0
default-router 10.64.96.1
option 43 hex f104.0A40.6005
dns-server 10.10.13.35
domain-name xxxx
!
ip dhcp pool vlan 7
network 10.29.96.0 255.255.248.0
option 43 hex f104.0A1D.6005
default-router 10.29.96.1
dns-server 10.10.13.35
domain-name xxxx

Kindly help me to fix this Issue..

Thanks and Best Regards,

syed zia

2 Replies 2

WiFi Trainers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Syed,

Your explanation is not very clear. Please clarify the following:

-What VLAN should your clients get an IP address from?

-What is the VLAN that they are getting the IP address from?

-Is the SSID configured for flexconnect local switching?

-Is the problematic AP configured as a flex AP?

-Switchport configuration for the AP from which clients get incorrect IP assignment.

Best Regards,

www.wifitrainers.com

Learn from the Best To be the Best!

Change the way you look at wireless client connectivity forever by registering to watch this free webinar and also stand a chance to win our Wireless starter kit worth $8000 for free!!

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Syed,

Easiest way is to place the ap's on the same vlan as the wlc management interface.  The ap's, if they get an ip address should join the controller.  Then once the ap's have joined and downloaded the image and is in the run state, then mover the ap's to the vlan they are suppose to be in.  For a small site like what you have, I would put the controller and the aps on the same vlan if possible.  Keep the wireless subnet separate from the wired also.  I would also not place the controller on vlan 1 as you want to be able to set a vlan tag.  So put it on vlan 4 for example and don't set a native vlan on the trunk port and set the vlan 4 on the wlc management interface.

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card