Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-ANT2566D4M-R

Colm OLeary
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of deploying directional antennas instead of omni's in open plan office environments with 10ft ceilings.

The particular environment has multiple floors across 4 building with Atrium's between the building where signals from Omni are proving difficult to define cells.

This environment has a very high throughput requirement hence the need for clear and concise cell definition.

I am looking at the AIR-ANT2566D4M-R (60 degree Patch) mounted on the ceiling facing downwards directly on to the Users.

Initial Survey results look quite positive.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Colm

4 Replies 4

Hi @Colm OLeary

I have experience with stadium where 60 and 30 degree is a very good fit.

10ft with directional antenna 60 degree I'd say your cell will be small on the floor where the antenna will be installed. The site survey is extremely important to avoid coverage hole.

Probably you are going to have a lot of signal leaking between floors. This can bring challenge with roam. 

Thanks Flavio.

The cell size and cell overlap on the same floor looks ok due to the large number of AP’s on each floor.

I will test how strong the signal is between floors.

Have you ever seen issues with the signal reflecting off the floor when mounted on a 10ft high ceiling?

Colm

I saw some roam issue and client using AP from the upper floor. But you can play with Optimized roaming and/or rx-sop and should works well.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

ds_warwick
Level 1
Level 1

I am considering doing the same for a building that has a high density requirement, but that also has a lot of glass partitions and floor/ceiling voids.

The building has not been constructed yet, but some desktop planning surveys show that the standard omnidirectional access points will create too much co-channel interference. 

I was concerned that the installation notes for the AIR-ANT2566D4M-R suggest it needs to installed vertically, but I have seen similar antennas mounted horizontally (albeit temporarily) at events like Cisco Live. 

I would be interested to find out how your testing is going. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: