Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-AP1562I-E-K9 mac authentication bridge mode

Alex49
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all

I just want to connect the AIR-AP1562I-E-K9 to my C9800 controller. 

The Access Point comes in bridge mode but I need the AP in local or flex connect mode

I do not want to change the mode on the cli because I have many of those.

All AP´s should connect to the C9800 and then I want to change the mode.

In the AireOS world I had to add the MAC address to the AP policy, because of security.

That was fast and easy.

Is there a way to do that in the same way on my C9800 or  do I have to configure the whole 

mesh deployment setup with policys and tags and so on.

I have only one central C9800 and many branch offices.

Thanks in advance

BR

Alex

T

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Keep in mind that AirOS is different and one should not always expect a one for one similarity. Have you read through the mesh guide for the 9800? Here is a link that explains what you need to do to allow mesh aps to connect to a 9800. All steps will need to be followed for the mesh ap to be joined.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/215100-join-mesh-aps-to-catalyst-9800-wireless.html#anc8
“configure the default aaa authorization credential-download method so that any mesh AP is allowed to join the controller”
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello Scott,

I was hoping not to configure anything. Is there a trick to allow all Access Points without to configure a special mac address

BR

Alex

Nicolas Poirier
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Alex,

Like Scott said, first you need to create an authorization method list (Configuration > Security > AAA > Servers/Groups). I prefer to named them when possible.
Then you configure this method list within the default mesh profile (Configuration > Wireless > Mesh > Profiles) and you are then ready to add you APs MAC addresses (Configuration > Security > AAA > AAA Advanced > Device Authentication).
You can add them manually or import them through a csv file which is sweet, especially when you have thousands of APs to add!
You will find a screen for each of these three steps below.

9800_Mesh-Authorization.jpg

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card