Views
Helpful
Replies

Air-AP1852i-E-K9 unable to connect to WLC 2500

C K
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have problem connecting out of the box Air-AP1852i-E-K9 to my working WLC2500.

WLC 2500 running firmware:  7.6.130.0

AP1852 running firmware version:  AP Running Image     : 8.3.143.0

initially I checked that the time was wrong on the AP and I was unable to correct the time so for test reasons I changed the time on the WLC to match the AP time but it is still not working. 

I am also told that the firmware on the WLC needs upgrading to 8.1. minimum, but I am a bit concerned about the licences that are on the WLC at the moment. It came with 5 AP licence.

On the AP CLI I am getting the below error: 

CAPWAP State: DTLS Setup

dtls_disconnect: ERROR shutting down dtls connection ...

CAPWAP State: DTLS Teardown

CAPWAP State: Discovery

Discovery Request sent to 255.255.255.255, discovery type UNKNOWN(0)

Discovery Response from 192.168.1.50

CAPWAP State: DTLS Setup

and it is repeating this all over.

1) Will the upgrade to 8.1. firmware make any changes to the licences?

2)  Is the upgrade necessary for the AP1852 to function properly?

Please advise.

Thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

No

Yes of course.

Pls refer below compatibility matrix

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#56735

I would suggest you to go with 8.5.140.0. You may have to do multiple step upgrades 

(7.6.130.0 ->8.2.170.0->8.5.140.0)

Pls refer release notes prior to upgrade

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/products-release-notes-list.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

Hi @C K

AS Rasi wrote don't worry about the licensing, after you update your WLC the license will remain. And Yes is mandatory that update your WLC otherwise the AP never will join.

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

wrainwater
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem. AP wouldn't see the controller because the code didn't allow for it. As stated above upgrading the IOS should do the trick.

9 Replies 9

No

Yes of course.

Pls refer below compatibility matrix

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#56735

I would suggest you to go with 8.5.140.0. You may have to do multiple step upgrades 

(7.6.130.0 ->8.2.170.0->8.5.140.0)

Pls refer release notes prior to upgrade

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/products-release-notes-list.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika,

Thanks for your help. I upgraded the firmware on WLC and it recognized the APs and everything is working now.

Thanks for your help and prompt response, much appreciated.

Kind Regards
C K

just confirm to me that the solution for this  case sir please 

Hi @C K

AS Rasi wrote don't worry about the licensing, after you update your WLC the license will remain. And Yes is mandatory that update your WLC otherwise the AP never will join.

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

Please can you tell me if i make an update firmware, after the update
its possible to get error or issue of my controller because my controller is on production so online with user connected
i would like to optimize it with this type of AP i have the same issue my firmware 8.1......
and the ap 1852E cant connect.
my question is after a update or during an update if problem come what should i do

No one can tell you what to do especially if something breaks. You need to be comfortable with your knowledge of the technology, your experience with doing upgrades and downgrades along with troubleshooting. If you don’t have experience with this, then at least make sure you have support in case something goes wrong. Support contract allows you to open a TAC case. Also a good rule of thumb is, “if it’s not broken don’t touch it.” Wait until you are comfortable.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

wrainwater
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem. AP wouldn't see the controller because the code didn't allow for it. As stated above upgrading the IOS should do the trick.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card