cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CAP3702P-E-K9 concurrent users

giuseppe.tetti1
Level 1
Level 1

We need to give access to network by means of 38 x AIR-CAP3702P-E-K9 to less or more 1.500 users.

It is reasonable ?

How many concurrent users we can aspect  one single AIR-CAP3702P-E-K9 can cover ?

User should use a simple custom app on their smartphone and navigate in the web.

We have also 2 x WLC 8510 in High Availability.

Thank you for your kind help.

Giuseppe

2 Replies 2

Hello @giuseppe.tetti1

Cisco usually don´t explicit write this in documentation. I got surprised other day because I have found this information on the Cisco Aironet 1815i Datasheet here.

But if you look at 3700 Datasheet you can´t find this information. This is not totally wrong from Cisco actually as the total number of users may vary depending on the environment and application.

Considering you description and based on my experience, I´d say that it is perfectly possible. Doing the math you´re ending up with 40 Users per AP which means 20 Users per Radio. This is pretty much fine.

I´d recommend you to enable Load balance on the WLAN to better distribute Users among APs and Band Select to balance Users between 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands. This way you don't overload one band whilst the other remains unused.

Hope this help.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This quest

@giuseppe.tetti1 wrote:

We need to give access to network by means of 38 x AIR-CAP3702P-E-K9 to less or more 1.500 users.

It is reasonable ?

This cannot be answered very easily. 

• How good is the RSSI of the wireless where the 1,500 users will be converging? 
  • Is Flexible Radio Assignment (FRA) enabled?
  • What kind of traffic are these 1,500 users expected to push? 

At the end of the day, the wireless clients makes the final and ultimate decision to join whatever AP it wants.  The wireless client can join the nearest AP or, and this happens very frequently, it can join the AP that has the worst RSSI value.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card