cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIRCAP 3702I-A-K9 basic functional test

dave_n_s
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a volunteer at our local hospice thrift store, working on electronics, testing and preparing for sale. I've worked a lot with domestic wireless networking, but not the pro stuff.

We've had one of these access points donated and I'd like to be able to confirm that it is basically functional.

I've powered it up with a 48V DC bench supply of the correct polarity  and it commenced slow flashing GREEN-RED-NIL, then for a period flashed GREEN rapidly then (I think) flashed rapidly through green/red/amber for a while before reverting to GREEN-RED-NIL, which appears to mean "Discovery/join process in progress"

It's connected to my linksys WRT1900ACS via ethernet cable (to the ethernet port).

I can't see any evidence that  it's transmitting in any of the 802.11 bands.

I've found the user / install guide, however I don't believe I have the necessary equipment to work through that.

Can someone please provide guidance on how to confirm it will receive and transmit data if installed on a suitable network.

Thanks!

8 Replies 8

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Connect AP with console cable and paste the output of this command: sh version

I suspect its a CAPWAP AP, means you will need cisco WLC to make it working.

Else

Download a autonomous image from cisco and install on it: 

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/285029865/type/284180979/release/15.3.3-JJ1

then use it as stanalone AP.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Connect AP to what please?

Console RJ45 to my router or direct to a computer or to something else?

What is sh version please?

It isn't a link.

I agree it may need a hardware controller to be fully functional, but I'm just trying to get it to transmit on some 802.11 band so I can show that it is responding to controls and has a working radio.

connect AP via console cable to your laptop

use cisco/Cisco as default username/password.

show version is a command to chekc the AP version

Do I need an RS232 port on my computer?

The connector on the AP is an RJ45, but I must not connect that to an RJ45
on my computer, correct?

This is no easy feat if you have never worked with these products in the past. There is a fairly steep learning curve required for this product. Also some requirements must be met, to get even basic information out of the AP (like a RS232 port on the PC and a Cisco Console cable) and some basic knowledge about COM ports.
I'm honestly not sure if the time investment is worth it.

What I would do, reset the AP to factory defaults and label it as untested. If it's containing "WLC required" software, the LED will never stop blinking/changing color for more than 5 minutes. If it's a standalone firmware, the LED should stay solid after some minutes.

Manual to reset it with the MODE button: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15_2_4_JB/configuration/guide/scg15-2-4-Book/scg15-2-4-chap4-first.html#96723

patoberli,

Thank you

I'm heading to the same conclusion. My COM port days are a couple of
decades ago and I'm trying to strike a balance between time take to test
and increase in revenue for our charity as I have a long queue of other
things to test / prep for sale for the charity as well as my other workload.

I was hoping at the very least to be able to get the radio to transmit as,
if that is happening and the LEDs are not indicating a fault condition, I
can write that up and a knowledgeable buyer will be able to make their mind
up on the likelihood of it being fully functional hardware.

Before I do a reset, are there any options that will allow me to see it
transmitting (using a smartphone 802.11 detector app, not trying to
communicate with it)?

Hmm good question. As we IT people like to say "it depends". I know that the radio is disabled by default on the newer software releases, I think even in Autonomous mode.
Only thing you could try, attach it to a network with adhcp server, then check on the server which ip it has provided to the ap and then try to access it via telnet/ssh or maybe browser.

Hi @dave_n_s 

If the AP is going to green, red, green red, it's hugely possibility that you need a WLC for configuring the AP.

is it possible that you console the AP and share the output of "show version command"?

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"

**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***

**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

*Tu reconocimiento nos alienta a seguir participando en los foros *

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card