Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1530 Series AP - Can't get to GUI config web page

V_B_V
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I am starting to use a Aironet 1530 Series AP to eventually create a wifi mesh network. I got stuck prematurely in the process by not being able to create a simple access point. I guess that the easiest would be through the web page but again I can't seem to be able to configure the unit in order to access it. Thank you for pointing out what I'm missing. 

In attachements the logs of the start-up debug output. And the list of commands I'm using.

5 Replies 5

Rich R
VIP
VIP
Hey :)
Your command steps file is empty apart from the prompt *after* your config attempts!
But anyway that doesn't matter - presumably you're trying to use this as an autonomous AP as you're talking about configuring it through a web page?
But the clue is in the image name (flash:/ap1g3-k9w8-mx.153-3.JC8/ap1g3-k9w8-mx.153-3.JC8) - this AP is running a lighweight AP image so will only work with a Wireless LAN Controller - k9w8 tells you it's a lightweight image.
For autonomous you need an autonomous IOS image which contains k9w7 in the name - latest for this AP would be ap1g3-k9w7-tar.153-3.JK2.tar at https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284620606/type/284180979/release/15.3.3-JK2
To convert this AP to autonomous search for converting from lightweight to autonomous on these forums or Google - you'll find plenty of helpful guides describing how to do it.
If you're actually trying to use it as a lightweight AP with a WLC then the 1st thing you need is working DHCP (so the AP can get an IP address), and the AP needs to be on the same subnet as the WLC or some way to find the WLC which the docs describe in detail (most popular being DHCP option 43) otherwise you'll need to configure it statically with "capwap ap primary-base <WLC name> <WLC IP>"

Hey rrudling,

Thank you so much for your answer! It actually makes sense that the image was not the correct one.

I'm struggling to download the Autonomous image, because I bought the units as second hand and don't have any contract numbers... Any way I can get the image another way ?

The final goal is to create a Mesh Network with 5 units. Is that possible using the lightweight image ?

Thank you so much ! 

Any way I can get the image another way ? As others on here like to say - Google is your friend.

The final goal is to create a Mesh Network with 5 units. Is that possible using the lightweight image ?
As far as I know it's only possible with a lightweight image but the catch is you need a WLC.

Hm, may I ask more details ?

You need to have a controller in order to configure lightweight access points. Mesh requires a controller and you will not be able to connect to these ap's via a GUI. All configurations again are done with a controller that is on a code that supports the access point.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card