Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 2600 Series AP (AIR-CAP2602E) to Autonomous

loolianwee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I purchased the AP wrongly, instead of getting the "Standalone/Autonomous" (AIR-SAP2602E) version but I purchased the controller-based version

(AIR-CAP2602E); my question is can I use "ap3g2-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB.tar" too flash it to a "Standalone/Autonomous" version?

If yes, can anyone help to point me to the right "Flashing method" and things required like console cable or just "ethernet cable" will do? Appreciate it!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

When you download the image, if you hover your mouse over the filename, a pop up will appear with the MD5.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a link (Leo's link)

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_NuxdRhQ4

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14960

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Am i able to do it without a console cable?

Here is the tricky part: I connect both the AP & PC using a cat5 cable or AP & PC using console cable? This statement confused me:

connect    a Ethernet cable between ur laptop and AP.. both should be  in the  same   subnet.. and connect a console cable and get the  hyperterminal  console   access and issue the command.. make sure you  are able to ping  the PC  and the AP and vice versa!!

I do not have a console cable, and i used the following method; after RED i released the mode button, it turns blinking green but after like 20 seconds it turned blinking RED.

Please advice, THanks!

Yes you don't need a console cable, but does help to see the output.  The AP would have a 10.0.0.1 ip address and you should set your AP to 10.0.0.2.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

The blinking red is because you are forcing the AP to broadcast for the default.tar code

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

So i should just wait?

Well that is why if you console into the AP you can tell what it is doing... I would console inot the AP and see.  Did you follow the direction and rename the image file?

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

yes, i changed the filename from ap3g2-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB.tar to c2600-k9w7-tar.default

I just completed the recovery process on an 2602 AP.

Downloaded the following image

ap3g2-k9w8-tar.152-4.JB6.tar

Renamed it to

ap3g2-k9w7-tar.default

Watch the console and saw that it failed after it deleted the old image due to space.

RESTARTED the recovery process (mode Button).

The image was finally downloaded successfully.

After it restarted i noticed that the AP somehow kept it's old name and WLC association, and when that was not available, it used the DHCP option to join to the controller configured on DHCP, only after the DNS look-up failed.

Total time to recovery was about 40 minutes.

Its now working, here is my step:

cat 5 between AP & laptop, laptop using IP 10.0.0.5/255.255.255.0

1) power off AP

2) push mode button

3) power on AP

4) AP blinking blue

5) AP turned RED

6) release mode button

7) AP blinking green

8) After like 15 second, AP blinking RED

Please advice if i did it wrongly....

That is right... what does the console output show?

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Here is what I use:

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.  I would use 10.0.0.2.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (c2600-k9w7-tar.default) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:
a. Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAfee firewall, or others.
b. Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.

Step 4 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c2600-k9w7-tar.default or a 26 series access point

Step 5 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 6 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 7 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 8 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 9 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 10 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

This worked for me, and I spent a lot of time spinning my wheels getting here.  Several issues left me waltzing down the garden path:

1) I would not get output on the console if failures, and so I was not at all sure what was wrong, not having any feedback from the AP.  Might have been because I was using XON/XOFF instead of NO flow control - not sure.  Output only came once the AP had failed for a VERY long time (at which point all retries had ceased and so I still had no idea what the problem was) or it was successfully loading the software.  

2) I had not disabled Windows Firewall which was apparently blocking TFTP port.  As

3) I, like loolianwee, had to name the software file ap3g2-k9w7-tar.default

4) I was thrown by a LOT of erroneous instructions I found while searching for a solution, including instructions which made it seem like I had to initiate the transfer via the console AND not being able to match up the actual, available console commands with any instructions I found.  

I do not have a console cable to see, but laptop tftp doesnt changed any transfering...

DIsable your firewall?

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card