cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 1142 wont TFTP - HELP!!!!

dcullotta
Level 1
Level 1

first off, Im not a CCNA/CCNE trying to get these access points Autonomous. looked at every thread I could find and have followed each set of directions. I'm close but once the TFTP connection is made it bombs with "dropped because peer didnt respond". it seems like it makes the connection but it cant decompress. below is a screen shot of everything I could show. any help would be so appreciated.

12 Replies 12

Chris Reynolds
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried a different TFTP server? I have had issues in the past with that Solarwinds one myself. Try something like tftp32d/64

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Also set your netmask to 255.255.255.0.  You had it set to 255.255.255.255.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Don,

Are you converting an LWAP to autonomous AP or your upgrading the IOS on autonomous AP?

The logs shows your are using broadcast ip (255.255.255.255) as the TFTP address. This should have been 10.0.0.1 right?

Please try following setups and confirm back.

Step 1  The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2  Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server (use tftp32/64 software) folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3  Set the timeout value on the TFTP server to 30 seconds.

Step 4  On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a.  Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.

b.  Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View; then uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types check box.

Step 5  Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 6  Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 7  Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 8  Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 9  Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 10  Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 11  After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

the entire process takes few minutes only to get completed

Hope that helps.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Renaming to .default did the trick for me. Thanks a lot !!

Chris Reynolds
Level 1
Level 1

The AP automatically does a broadcast look for the default file. The 255.255.255.255 is normal. He should just have to be sure to be on the same 10.0.0.x network with the tftp server.

It does seem odd on the console session shows 192.168.x.x for the default router.

Thanks for getting back to me. I Have tried a different TFTP server as well, Same result. Seems like the connection is made but the file errors out or the AP times outs. I've followed all the instructions and still get the same timeout. I have noticed in windows 7 when you rename the .tar file it switches the file type to DEFAULT file type. Looking at the log from TFTP you can see it makes the initial connection. The LEd even blinks green while its trying to handshake. Console cable to AP and Ethernet from laptop to ether port of the AP. even tried a windows XP machine and nothing.

Just make sure you check the md5 on the file and then in Windows, make sure you are also viewing the extensions in explorer just to be sure. Are you connecting directly to the AP and have you tried just connecting the ap and the tftp on the same vlan but using a switch?

Like Leo mentioned, there are other easier ways to do this. If your stuck in ROMMON, then post the output for issuing SET

-Scott

I wish I had a VLAN to try. Only have a non-managed switch. Also,  trying to go from Lwapp to autonomous. Just wish I knew why it looks like it connects then times out. Should the file type be "default"?

It depends on how you are trying to do the conversion. When using the mode button, you can see that that ap default IP is 10.0.0.1 and it broadcast for the .default

Even if you have an unmanaged switch, you can still connect the AP and the laptop running tftp. Doesn't matter if your using a different IP address like 10.0.0.2, as layer 2 connectivity will still be there.

I use 3CDeamon for my tftp as it will also show if there is a connection or not. Try connecting the AP and the laptop to the network and try. As long as they are on the same vlan you are good. Since it's unmanaged, it should all be on the same vlan.

-Scott

Also make sure your root tftp folder is not pointing to a share/map drive. Put it local on your machine. I have seen issues with that.

-Scott

mashuck
Level 1
Level 1

Don

I have seen this quite offend with the newer AP's. Many time during the file transfer the tftp server starts to send the file over to the AP and then receives an error. What I generaly do is connect the AP directly to my laptop using a RJ45 network straight thru cable and start up tftpd32. then use a console cable to access the cli of the AP.

Then issue these commands:

LWAP to IOS ---

AP>en

AP# debug lwap console cli

or

AP# debug capwap console cli

AP# conf t

AP#(conf)int fa0

AP#(conf-if) ip addr (same subnet as that of laptop)

AP#(conf-if)end

AP#archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp:///

example given below:

AP#archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://10.0.0.5/c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-23c.tar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card