Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 1832 with ME firmware boots as WLC or as capwap AP

jphvpichi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 3 APs working on a ME environment, the master AP (wlc) and 2 APs associating to the wlc (all ME capable). All working perfectly.

Yesterday i try to add two more APs, but i have noticed something when i was booting boths APs (before i have tried to add them to the wlc).

When i first boot the AP, i have noticed that i got to the Cisco Wizard Configuration Tool,

Would you like to terminate autoinstall? [yes]:
Enter Administrative User Name (24 characters max):

and if i power down/up the AP (without configuring it), then i got the capwap AP prompt:

[*07/30/2019 19:20:14.9857] Flexconnect Switching to Standalone Mode!

Username:

With the 2th AP i got the capwap AP prompt at the first time...

then i did some test with the first AP, powering down/up and sometimes i got the cisco wizard configuration tool and sometimes the capwap AP prompt..

remember i have not associated them to the wlc, this is factory default behavior (as it happens to me).

does anybody knows why?..

best regards,

Juan Pablo

3 Replies 3

Rafael E
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Some APs already have the ME image loaded on them. What is your PDI?

Regards,

Rafael - TAC 

Saludos,
Rafael - TAC

Hi,

thanks for your reply,

I am talking about the same AP, sometimes it boots as WLC and other as capwap AP,, how do you explain that?..

I understand what you said, but i don't understand why the AP boots as i said.. (wlc or capwap ap).

with the ME loaded the AP boot and if it not find any wlc it turns as wlc, but if it finds the wlc it turns as AP.. right?.

i am booting my AP in a network without wlc.. (for testing purposes).

what is PDI?.

best regards,

Juan Pablo

Hello,

Si If you are booting the AP on a network without a WLC and AP has a ME image capable. Then AP should load the AireOS software.

Now if sometimes it does not, we would need to check on the console log to understand what is happening. 

Regards,

Rafael - TAC 

Saludos,
Rafael - TAC
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card