Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 3800 with external antennas vs internal

jmprats
Level 4
Level 4

I'm going to add some AP 3800 to a wireless network in an office

I've have been always using internal antennas, even in vertical (wall) AP's, so I don't have any experience with external antennas.

1) I see that external dipole antennas has less gain than that the internal ones? is this possible? So when I have to use external dipole antennas?

2) If I have to situate the AP vertical in the wall, is it better internal or external dipole antennas which less gain?

3) On the other hand, if the AP is in the side (vertical / wall) of the room I want to cover, which is the better election (internal / dipole / directional)?

4) Can I have problems with directional antennas because they transmit very far, but the clients don't have enough power to return back?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
All the questions can be answered correctly if a wireless site survey is done correctly.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Internal APs are designed for their antennas to be pointing to the ground (Cisco logo and LED facing the floor) so not designed to be placed vertically on a wall. This is where you could use a dipole antenna with the top two antennas facing the roof and the bottom two facing the floor.

A directional antenna is like those old funnel ear pieces so it can send and hear clients further away, it concentrates the signal in that direction.

As Leo said best to do a site survey

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks,

and what about internal AP's pointing to the ceiling? Like on shelves on top of a bookcase, is it wrong?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card