Helpful
Replies

AP High availability Configuration.

Sharath Karpur
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All, 

Wish you all happy new year !

I have a situation to change the AP High availability : One of my WLC is decommissioned and replaced with other name and IP address. I need to replace the secondary WLC name and IP in all Access Point. Is there any global command to change the secondary-base details to all AP in one go ? else it will be huge task to type each command. 

Regards

Sharath

9 Replies 9

Hi Sharath,

If you have list of your AP names, you can do it easily via WLC CLI config. See below

config ap secondary-base <secondary_wlc_name> <LAP-1> <secondary_wlc_mgtip>
config ap secondary-base <secondary_wlc_name> <LAP-2> <secondary_wlc_mgtip>
config ap secondary-base <secondary_wlc_name> <LAP-3> <secondary_wlc_mgtip>

config ap secondary-base <secondary_wlc_name> <LAP-N> <secondary_wlc_mgtip>

If you want to change primary controller information use "config ap primary-base " CLI command with same syntax.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hello Rasika,
I looked for this command, but was looking if there are any global command that I can use, I need to change it it 3 WLC's and I have nearly 500 Ap's.. its a long list.

Regards
Sharath

There is no global command as these are individual AP specific configuration.

Use microsoft excel "concatenate" to derive CLI commands once you put your AP names into one column. It is not that difficult and you can do this in very short time as long as you have CLI configs ready.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

If you have a Cisco Prime in use, you can do that automatically through that one. You can create a new AP configuration profile, where you only configure this setting and then push it out to all APs.

Thanks Rasika and all, 

I have one more question to all on Regulatory Domain

I also have a configuration on few WLC with RD as Germany ( E )  and few WLC with UK ( E ), If the AP happens to fail over from  UK WLC to Germany WLC with that AP get's connected ? or it would not..

I believe its should get connected as WLC would look for "E" parameter not the country code... is it  ? Looking for your expert advice.

Regards

Sharath

Yes exactly, it should work.
Only problem is maybe different signal strengths in UK than in rest of Europe. No idea if there will be changes because of Brexit though ;)
But make sure that all the required ports are open between the APs and all controllers, or you'll have an outage.

We have Cisco Prime..How i can push it to all Cisco AP via One Go.

This depends a little bit on the used version of PI.

On 3.7 you find this under: Configuration -> Lightweight Access Points -> Create+ -> under AP Parameters enable Controllers Configuration and set your WLC name and optionally also IP address. Then save it and deploy it to the APs you want. Please note, if you change the primary WLC (not sure about the others), the AP will change the controller within minutes after changing the value.

shriramsupekar
Level 1
Level 1

Get the list of WAPs from WLC using command ...

1. show ap summary

2. Export the list to notepad, keeping ONLY the hostnames of WAPs for whom you want to change the "Secondary WLC".

3. Use command config ap secondary-base <Secondary WLC Name> <WAP Name> <Secondary WLC IP Addr>

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card