Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Max User Alarms

Hi there,

Is it possible to set up an alarm on WCS each time an AP hits an user threshold ?

thanks im advanced!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are different thresholds on the WLC. One is interference, client, noise and utilization. All these can be custom so you can get alerted or not. Your subject states AP max user and then you talk about interference. These are two separate traps which doesn't mean that you have issues as its just to send an alert to syslog or WCS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Should be Ap client threshold. The WLC will shoot an alarm at the configured value ,12 by default IIRC.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Stephen,

My controllers are set up with default value : 12. How does this alarm is shown on WCS, would be like that :

"Interference threshold violation reported by '802.11b/g' interface of AP 'XXXXXX', connected to Controller 'XXXXX'"

Alarms will hit the WCS when the threshold is met. If you want a email alert, then you need to set the alarm as critical.

-Scott

Actually, I did not see the related alarm on WCS. May be my Controller version 6.0.202.

You should... You should of seen any WLC alerts in the WCS alerts.

-Scott

Scott, have you an example how this message is shown on WCS ?

I thought  it was  that one:

"Interference threshold violation reported by '802.11b/g' interface of AP 'XXXXXX', connected to Controller 'XXXXX'"

But is should be related to Interfarence only.

thank you very much.

I don't have WCS up anymore so really can't tell you. All the trap are set on the WLC under the RRM General. You should look at your minor alerts and see what type of alerts it will show you. Default interference on the WLC is 10%.

-Scott

There are different thresholds on the WLC. One is interference, client, noise and utilization. All these can be custom so you can get alerted or not. Your subject states AP max user and then you talk about interference. These are two separate traps which doesn't mean that you have issues as its just to send an alert to syslog or WCS.

-Scott

Thanks for the clarifications!

Hi,

I'd like to add one more question to this subject even though I had put it as answered.

I have  found the correct alarm message on the WCS related to User treshold:

"Load threshold violation reported by '802.11b/g' interface of AP 'xxxx', connected to Controller 'xxxx' "

We are in range to add more access point on the facilities and what I am looking for is a way to accurately determine where it is more necessary add  AP.

I think this parameter is a good reference.

My idea is increase the parameter to the max= 75 and then sliding down until find those APs with high load.

My concern is about the consequence by increase this parameter. I mean, is it just a reference value ? Or by increasing/decreasing it I can change other things on the controller ?

I guess you can use that to gauge how many clients you have in an area or a given AP.  Typically you would gauge that by the number of users in an area.  Rule of thumb is 20-25 users per ap which is a good default number for general applications.  I'm not talking about video or voice, just general data.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card