Replies

AP not marking QoS traffic

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

Running 8.2.170.0

Flex Connect

5508 WLC and 2602i AP

I'm running into an issue where it looks like AP is not marking the traffic whenever it is a "TA". 

Two iPhones connected to the same AP on 5GHz

Initiate Facetime

I see over the air capture traffic from clients to the AP is voice/video

Any traffic from the AP(TA) to the clients is Best Effort.

I even created a custom AVC profile for flex connect, added facetime in there and set it to mark it.  But I don't think that is the issue here.  Why would the AP be re marking everything back to the clients as Best Effort?

6 Replies 6

Hi Ali,

Would you be able to test if it works in Local mode ? 

In that way we know issue exist only in FlexConnect mode.

HTH

Rasika

Thanks for the reply Rasika here are the results:

1- Local mode with Platinum profile assigned to the WLAN (no AVC profile) same results, clients as sa or ta = voice/video but AP as TA it was all Best Effort.

2- Local mode with Platinum profile assigned to the WLAN - Also custom AVC Profile with Facetime in it being marked as Voice I got voice from client to AP and AP to client

3- Local mode with Platinum profile assigned to the WLAN - Also custom AVC Profile with Facetime in it being marked as Video I got voice from client to AP and AP to client.

So it works as expected (AP mark downstream traffic as per AVC rule) in Local mode when you apply your AVC profile. However it does not work when it is FlexConnect

Is that accurately describe your issue ?

Rasika

That is correct I'm trying to play around with FlexConnect AVC to see if that works.

Hi Ali,

This is the info what I found in AVC deployment guide (not talking how it works in FlexConnect, which is the bit we need to clarify here). If I get more info, will share it here.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/AVC_8point3_dg.html#pgfId-50545

AVC and QoS Interaction on the WLAN

The AVC/NBAR2 engine on the controller interoperates with the QoS settings on the specific WLAN. The NBAR2 functionality is based on the DSCP setting. The following occurs to the packets in Upstream and Downstream directions if AVC and QoS are configured on the same WLAN:

Upstream

1. Packet comes with or without inner DSCP from wireless side (wireless client).

2. AP will add DSCP in the CAPWAP header that is configured on WLAN (QoS based configuration).

3. WLC will remove CAPWAP header.

4. AVC module on the controller will overwrite the DSCP to the configured marked value in the AVC profile and send it out.

Downstream

1. Packet comes from switch with or without inner DSCP wired side value.

2. AVC module will overwrite the inner DSCP value.

3. Controller will compare WLAN QoS configuration (as per 802.1p value that is actually 802.11e) with inner DSCP value that NBAR had overwritten. WLC will choose the lesser value and put it into CAPWAP header for DSCP.

4. WLC will send out the packet to AP with QoS WLAN setting on the outer CAPWAP and AVC inner DSCP setting.

5. AP strips the CAPWAP header and sends the packet on air with AVC DSCP setting; if AVC was not applied to an application then that application will adopt the QoS setting of the WLAN.

HTH

Rasika

Thank you so much for the additional information, I had read a lot about all this on your blog too.  So I finally was I believe able to get it working how it should under Flexconnect as well.  It makes sense that AP would remark the frames as Best Effort because it does not know about the application and per Cisco Wireless design it is not keeping those markings.   So with AVC basically we are defining it and being very specific to let the AP know if the Application is "xyz" mark it as voice or video etc.  Couple of things:
- Before AVC did the QoS not work from the AP to client?
- Even when I marked Facetime as Platinum or Gold (see attached screen shot).  I was thinking I should have gotten the UP value of 5 and 4, but I got like 6 and 5.  I'm thinking that might require some additional configuration tune up.

Bottom line looks like AVC Profiles need to be created and have to define the applications under there in order for this to work properly.  Otherwise AP does not know what to do with it.  Just like we would do it on the LAN side.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: