Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Range and signal strength is very weak

Jawad Ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm facing problem in AP. We are using standalone access points, all's working fine but signal strength is very weak. 

Product/Model Number:
 Product/Model Number: AIR-SAP1602E-E-K9
 Top Assembly Serial Number: FGL2035X04H
 System Software Filename: ap1g2-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB2
 System Software Version: 15.2(2)JB2
 Bootloader Version: BOOTLDR: C1600 Boot Loader (AP1G2-BOOT-M) LoaderVersion 15.2(2)JAX, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
AIR-SAP1602E-E-K9
 System Software Version: 15.2(2)JB2

What I need to do solve this problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You have no antenna attached at all?  The E models are designed to be used with some form of antgenna, but with nothing attached any signal will be radiated just from the internal connections...  Even the little "stick" antennas will give considerable improvement.

The ADVANTAGE of the E is that you have the capability of "optimizing" the antenna based on your needs.  Simple omnidirectional, to Yagi directional antenna - whatever suits the environment.  But you DO need some antenna or you will get minimal signal.  "I" models have an internal omni built into the case - non-optimal, but simple and normally adequate for many environments.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the AP is set to the highest TX power, there is really nothing you can do to cover more area. When you say the signal is very weak, are you pretty far away from the AP or are there wall or obstruction between you and the AP?

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

Yes, transmit power is maximum. When I 10 steps away from AP it's showing connected but not signal.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

try doing a site survey and look for possible interferences (neighbor AP/wifi, microwave oven, cordless phone, etc).

you can tweak the 2.4 GHz radio interface: Network > Network Interface > Radio0-802.11n 2G.Hz

Data Rates: Best Range

Transmitter and Client Power: max

DefaultRadio Channel:  Least Congested Frequency

you can also enable and configure the less crowded 5 GHz radio: Network > Network Interface > Radio0-802.11n 5G.Hz > Enable Radio > Enable.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. It's already set to maximum transmit power and best range but still issue is the same.

You need the proper antenna.

-Scott 

-Scott

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

This is an E model - what antennas to you have connected to the AP?

Hello,

Yes this is E Model. We are using without antenna.

You need an antenna for any "E" model antenna. This is what the others were leaning towards.

-Scott 

-Scott

Ok thanks for your advice.

What type of Antenna we need. This is office where we using APs approximately all users in room.

You can just go with a dipole or maybe any ceiling mount Omni. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/apdeploy/8-0/Cisco_Aironet_3700AP.html#pgfId-97038

maybe this antenna: AIR-ANT2535SDW-R – Dual band (short) dipole (4 required) – 3/5 dBi Dipole

-Scott 

-Scott

Ok thank you. I'll check with antenna and update you.

Here is another one if you want to place the antenna above the ceiling and this on the ceiling tile:

AIR-ANT2524V4C-R=

You want a dual band 4 element Omni antenna  

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-antennas-accessories/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

-Scott 

-Scott

Thank you.

Do I've to configure AP for Antenna. Or Antenna is  just plug and play. 

Basically plug and play. You can do some funky changes, but that's if you want to disable antenna ports which you don't want to.  Just get the proper antenna that meets your needs and you should be good to go.

-Scott 

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card