Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP's Failover on 4400 and 5508

Hello guys good nigh I have another question. I'm going to migrate a WLC 4400 for 5508. I'm worry about this migration because I have some AP on remote sites in mode H-REAP. So i was thinking in a method to migrate this AP's. I know that in my 5508 I can set a priority on my AP's I mean just set the name of the controller and it's ip address.

I can do this in one WLC 4400 with 4.1.171 version?

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add to Leo's post... Search the forum for 4400 to 5508 migration and you will find various post on how others have done it. The bottom line is your best to upgrade the code on the 4400 to at least the 7.0.x if I were you. You need to follow the release notes because you will need to do incremental upgrades. Also you need to makes sure your AP's are compatible with the WLC code version for the 4400 when on v7.0.x and when you migrate to the 5508.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I can do this in one WLC 4400 with 4.1.171 version?

Ummmmm ... Firmware 4.X has a bug whereby you need to specify the secondary controller via CLI.

The priority is not supported in this version.

Do you have WCS?  You can configure a timed migration of your AP using WCS.

One question how can I set up a secondary WLC

I know this command: capwap ap controller ip address

Buy how I can set a secondary ip ?

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"

You can't. That's why if the WLC's are in the same mobility group, the AP's will know of the other WLC's.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add to Leo's post... Search the forum for 4400 to 5508 migration and you will find various post on how others have done it. The bottom line is your best to upgrade the code on the 4400 to at least the 7.0.x if I were you. You need to follow the release notes because you will need to do incremental upgrades. Also you need to makes sure your AP's are compatible with the WLC code version for the 4400 when on v7.0.x and when you migrate to the 5508.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

-Scott

So I have two optios?

by CLI en every AP set a secondary ip Address? or upgrade my WLC code?

What's happening if just turn off my WLC 4402  y turn on my new WLC 5508 they are in the same subnet.

I know my client have a WCS but Im not sure how set up the time migration.

Wha could be my best option?

You would just have to test that... I have never tried to upgrade an access point that is on v4.x to v7.x.  Test with a spare AP and see what the outcome is.  If that works fine, then just remove the old and put in the new.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

I have never tried to upgrade an access point that is on v4.x to v7.x.

I have tried from 4.X to 6.X (an AP1130) and it works fine. 

hahaha... I guess I can blow the dust off this 4402 next to me and try, but then I would need to go back to a code that is xml and reconfigure everything:)  Maybe after I come back from Live... seem's like too much work.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

hahaha.

I know I read the posts on the forum how say Scott I read just need to reset the AP y set by cli the ip address of by nre controller.

Another comment I know I'm using dhcp option 43 for discovery controller. this changed in something my problem?

hehehe I don't know wich could be my best method.

It depends on what you want to do. If you going to replace the old with the new, the new WLC should have the same IP address so the AP's already know about that. If your going to have them up at the same time, then configure each WLC to be in the same mobility group, but that would mean you have to upgrade your 4400 to be able to have mobility connection between the two. The easiest would be use the DNS option and resolve that to the new 5508 WLC address. DNS is easier to setup than dhcp option 43 especially if you have to change more than one scope.

-Scott

You would set both of these and resolve that to the ip address of the new WLC.

cisco-lwapp-controller.your_domain.com

cisco-capwap-controller.your-domain.com

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Well I'm not sure if you remember my old discussion, the main idea is replace this 4400 for two new 5508.

but I was worried for my AP's remote, I don't know I'm just trying to have a controlled migration, but if you think that his

"It depends on what you want to do. If you going to replace the old with the new, the new WLC should have the same IP address so the AP's already know about that!

will work I will do it.

One question... I never work with DNS server you say is so easy where I need to set the comand that you mentionated?

Thanks again Scott

It depends what your DNS server is.  Here is a video for microsoft dns server:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYj7KSIn2Xo

How I would do the migration is to first upgrade the 4400's to the latest v7.0.x code.  Of course you will have downtime since you have to do an incremental upgrade.  Then When you have that completed and the 5508's configured, you would add the wlc's to the same mobility group and make sure that the mobility groups is up.  Then I would move one ap to the new wlc and see how that goes.  If everything goes smooth, then I would start moving AP's to the new WLC, until they all have been moved.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

One question how can find up is my mobility group is up? it's not enough write the same mobility group?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: