Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP setup question

Hi all,

I have question regarding wireless setup requirement. I need to setup below hardware:-

- 5 x AP

- 1 x AP controller

- 1 x Authentication server

I'm thinking to use

- 5 x AP  = Air-LAP-1142

- 1 x AP controller = WLC 2504

- 1 x Authentication server = ???

Is it ok with my selection. Can you all give me idea about the Authentication Server? any specific Cisco device that relevant.

If i'm not mistaken the WLC required license right??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can get a license for 5 minimum if you want. Cisco has ACS 5.3, but it's not free. Cisco ISE, but that's even more expensive, but has features that are pretty nice if your looking to profile or posture clients.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's is fine... Did you choose the 1142 due to cost? If so, that will be fine. The 2600 is a god choice also for the cost. 3600's are the high end APs right now.

As far as radius, if your a Microsoft shop, you can use their IAS or NPS (2008 Server). There is also free radius, but your on your own with the configurations:)

-Scott

Thank for the reply,

1. I'm quite familiar with 1142n, that why I choose it

2. How about the WLC 2504?? The license is 15 right?

3. Does Cisco have any similar device for the authentication?

You can get a license for 5 minimum if you want. Cisco has ACS 5.3, but it's not free. Cisco ISE, but that's even more expensive, but has features that are pretty nice if your looking to profile or posture clients.

-Scott

I would like to consider the ACS 5.3, is it commonly use?? Easy to configure basic setup??

One more thing, does ACS 1120 or ACS 1121 ok?? I want to consider this

I would like to consider the ACS 5.3

I recommend you don't.

ACS will be superseded by ISE. 

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is the thing.... How much do you want to spend. ISE will eventually replace ACS, but for now ISE does not have tacacs built in. ISE does cost more, but for a small setup, is ISE a good fit. The reason I bring up using a Microsoft IAS or NPS radius server is because if your running a Microsoft AD, it's easy to just bring up another server and install the radius role. It's up to you, but if you go with ACS, why not go with the virtual machine install. What flexibility do you have? Can you run ACS or ISE in a VM?

-Scott

Hi all,

Thanks for the recomendation, because of the cost, I choose ACS 1121, furthermore this is the 1st time I'm using ACS.

Hopefully i learn something from it and maybe consider ISE next time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card