Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1142N - Office and guest SSIDs and security

iholdings
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I need assistance with configuring separate SSIDs for a remote offfice connected back to the corporate office over an L2L IPSEC.

I would like to configure an Office SSID using strong excryption - but hesitate deploying WPA or WPA2 since the authentication server I would need to include is on the corporate network across the tunnel.  Is there any way to use WPA/WPA2 without the need of a RADIUS server?

The Guest access should be open (perhaps).

Are there any good configuration examples or discussions that would help me?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm guessing your AP's are autonomous and you don't have a WLC. You can still use WPA/Tkip or WPA2/AES using a preshared key. Here is a good doc to help you get started.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1140/autonomous/getting_started/guide/ap1140aut_getstart.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I would like to configure an Office SSID using strong excryption - but hesitate deploying WPA or WPA2 since the authentication server I would need to include is on the corporate network across the tunnel.  Is there any way to use WPA/WPA2 without the need of a RADIUS server?

As what Scott has posted, you can use PSK but make creative use of your PSK.  Experience have taught me that PSK tends to be abused with time.

The Guest access should be open (perhaps).

Guess what's going to happen?  Your staff will be joining the Guest SSID in the future.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For sake of understanding...

WPA / WPA2 - SOHO or PSK is Preshare Key

WPA / WPA2 - Enterprise is the use of Radius (authentication)

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin