Views
Helpful
Replies

APs WLC VLAN Recommandation

foued kh
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

I have to install a vwlc in a network with many vlan ; vlan management , users , wifi , ..etc.
I putted the controller vwmc in vlan management.
What do you recommand for me , I assigned the access point to the same vlan of vwlc (vlan management) or in any other vlan?

Thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johndesgarennes
Level 4
Level 4

Hi I recommend you first inventory how many and where the access points will go. It is pretty safe to have a seperate vlan just for AP management. This is good for several reasons, one you can create DHCP vendor options so that your AP's can automatically join the controller, and you can restrict users from having direct access to the AP's. It is not necessary to have the AP's in the management vlan of your controller. I would also recommend using DNS for registrations of the Access points, it's pretty easy to do,

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

johndesgarennes
Level 4
Level 4

Hi I recommend you first inventory how many and where the access points will go. It is pretty safe to have a seperate vlan just for AP management. This is good for several reasons, one you can create DHCP vendor options so that your AP's can automatically join the controller, and you can restrict users from having direct access to the AP's. It is not necessary to have the AP's in the management vlan of your controller. I would also recommend using DNS for registrations of the Access points, it's pretty easy to do,

THank you so much for all precious informations.
I will mark it as resolved

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card