cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Deploying and Troubleshooting Wireless Networks

Monica Lluis
Level 9
Level 9

Welcome to this Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and any ask questions about how to configure and troubleshoot a wireless network with Cisco expert  Alexander De Menezes.

Ask questions from Monday February 22 to Friday March 4, 2016

Wireless networks have became pervasive in today's world. Cisco offers very strong wireless porfolio that helps business to connect to the Internet anywhere anytime. 

This session will focus on answering question regarding how to deploy a wireless network and also, the common pitfalls and issues that might happen in an installed wireless network. 

Alexander De Menezes  is a Technical Support engineer in the Cisco Technical Assistance Center in Cisco Brussels.  He is expert on any wireless products, including Wireless LAN controllers and Access Points. He also has in-depth knowledge of AAA and IBNS technologies. Alexander joined Cisco in 2007. He holds a Master in Sciences in Advanced Electronic Engineering from the University of Warwick, UK. 

Alexander  might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Getting Started with Wireless Community

Find other  https://supportforums.cisco.com/expert-corner/events.

**Ratings Encourage Participation! **
Please be sure to rate the Answers to Questions

I hope you and your love ones are safe and healthy
Monica Lluis
Community Manager Lead
65 Replies 65

wyfy-2015
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alex,

If the client suddenly get disconnect ,cisco prime will show disassocited from the ap.

How do we get details of the disassociation reason .

Thanks

Hi!

On Prime ,you can use the client troubleshooting tool to get info on client connection state:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-0/user/guide/pi_ug/clientmgmt.html#pgfId-1383721

One can check on the details for specific clients from:
Monitor>Monitoring Tools>Clients and Users>your specific client MAC xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Via above path,there is an association history section under the overview tab which provides info on association/dissociation/deauthentication and other events.

There is also possibility for reports:

Reports>Reports>Report Launch Pad/Client/Client Sessions

Above data helps to get a good overview of problem state,like:
-Is issue happening for all clients or specific clients (example: buggy client which needs updating to latest wireless drivers/firmware).
-Is issue happening across all site or specific floor area (example: interference/high channel utilisation in specific area)

But to get details of the disassociation reason, the troubleshooting then is done on WLC ,so we then run "debug client" until problem is replicated for client disassoc, from WLC cli:

debug client <take a specific Client MAC>

debug disable-all   -to disable debug.

Some good info on debug client (this is a debug which is used almost every-time in TAC for client troubleshooting):
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1200-series/100260-wlc-debug-client.html#intro

Some other useful things to check besides debug client for client disassociation reason, from WLC cli (verify for any odd events during timestamps of client disassociation issue):
show msglog
show traplog

For some more info, on Prime, we will normally not get Client Alarms and Events under the Monitor>Monitoring Tools>Alarms and Events tab since that is for Critical/Major events.
Its best to keep the Client Alarm severity at default info level to avoid performance impact from a lot of client alarms on PI, we can see the Client alarm severity is at default Informational level from path:
Administration>Settings>System Settings>Alarms and Events>Alarm Severity and Auto Clear>Wireless>Clients

-Alex

wyfy-2015
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

For some reason  i had to change Multicast unicast mode .But  broadcasting videos became sluggish

Now i would like to change to back Multicast multicast mode  ,  if it is not working in multicast  multicast mode , what could be the problem . How can i begin troubleshoot ?

Thank you

wyfy-2015
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have attached a screenshot  of an apple phone from the wlc ,which shows  currentTxrate 10.5,

I believe it should show mcsindex . If it is mcsindex how come it is 10.5 ?

correct me if am wrong ?

Thanks

Hi

This maybe a bug.

What is the WLC version you are running?

Do you see the same output from WLC cli command:

show client detail <mac of wireless client>

And if you are testing with Iperf on another wireless client, do you see the Iperf results differing from what is seen on WLC currentTxrate?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/112055-tshoot-11n-speeds-00.html#topicsub1

-Alex

Hi Alex ,

Thank you for the reply . Its an apple iphone 6 device (802.11ac).and  some times it shows the txrate 12.5 in another location .

Here is the client details .

Client MAC Address : d003.4b80
Client Username :
AP MAC Address : a46c.
AP Name: N
AP slot : 1
Client State : Associated
Wireless LAN Id : 10
Wireless LAN Name:
BSSID : a46c
Connected For : 522 secs
Protocol : 802.11ac
Channel : 56
Client IIF-ID : 0x7ac1000000b6a2
ASIC : 0
IPv4 Address : 10.0.
IPv6 Address : Unknown
Association Id : 1
Authentication Algorithm : Open System
Status Code : 0
Client CCX version : No CCX support
Re-authentication Timeout : 28246 (28772)
Input Policy Name : unknown
Input Policy State : None
Input Policy Source : Default Policy
Output Policy Name : cldeftoWMM
Output Policy State : Installed
Output Policy Source : Default Policy
802.1P Priority Tag : 0
WMM Support : Enabled
U-APSD Support : Disabled
Device Type : Unknown
Power Save : ON
Current Rate : 12.5
Supported Rates : 12.0,18.0,24.0,36.0,48.0,54.0,12.0,18.0,24.0,36.0,48.0,54.0
Mobility State : Local
Mobility Move Count : 0
Security Policy Completed : Yes
Policy Manager State : RUN
Policy Manager Rule Created : Yes
NPU Fast Fast Notified : Yes
Last Policy Manager State : L2AUTHCOMPLETE
Client Entry Create Time : 5591159 seconds
Policy Type : WPA2
Authentication Key Management : 802.1x
Encryption Cipher : CCMP (AES)
Management Frame Protection : No
Protected Management Frame - 802.11w : No
EAP Type : PEAP
Interface : WIFI
VLAN : 30
Quarantine VLAN : 0
Access VLAN : 30
WFD capable : No
Manged WFD capable : No
Cross Connection capable : No
Support Concurrent Operation : No
Client Capabilities
CF Pollable : Not implemented
CF Poll Request : Not implemented
Short Preamble : Not implemented
PBCC : Not implemented
Channel Agility : Not implemented
Listen Interval : 20
Fast BSS Transition : Not implemented
Fast BSS Transition Details :
Client Statistics:
Number of Bytes Received : 650421
Number of Bytes Sent : 1086810
Number of Packets Received : 4806
Number of Packets Sent : 3479
Number of EAP Id Request Msg Timeouts : 0
Number of EAP Request Msg Timeouts : 0
Number of EAP Key Msg Timeouts : 0
Number of Data Retries : 1821
Number of RTS Retries : 0
Number of Duplicate Received Packets : 35
Number of Decrypt Failed Packets : 0
Number of Mic Failured Packets : 0
Number of Mic Missing Packets : 0
Number of Policy Errors : 0
Radio Signal Strength Indicator : -41 dBm
Signal to Noise Ratio : 55 dB
Assisted-Roaming Prediction List:

-----------------------------------------------------

The below test run on an imac(apple says it supports 3x3 MIMO) which is also 'ac' with channel width 80Mhz .( mac client shows txrate 878 Mbps sometimes 1300 , i dont 't know why )

Iperf ­-s ­w 1024k

iperf -c 192.168.1.184 -t 30 -w 1024k -P 5

It gave me maximum 145Mb

------------------------------------------------------------------

wlc version 

IOS-XE Software, 5700 Series Wireless LAN Controller Software (CT5760-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 03.06.03E RELEASE SOFTWARE

ap 3702

Thank you 

Hi alex ,

Can you take a look to the above post and addvise ?

Thanks

Hi,

IOS-XE Software, 5700 Series Wireless LAN Controller Software (CT5760-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 03.06.03E RELEASE SOFTWARE

ap 3702

iphone 6s with rssi -60 shows  mcs index  5 sometimes 6 ,

is it ok ? 

Thank you 

Hello Alexander

This can be a silly question but I'd like to know how to start to do a really deep troubleshooting.

Must of us we can see when a wireless network has an issue in its configuration, but how we can start with a professional trouble shooting?

Thanks for your advice.

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

Hi Daniel

Its a great question, but i won't be able to give a detailed response in this short space, so i will share you some very good info on troubleshooting available under Ciscolive site:

https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/speakerDetail.ww?PERSON_ID=9F02F59D10F89B88B09BEEE474B6B34C

There are a lot of  troubleshooting sessions on wireless in CiscoLive, i think the 2 below sessions will give you the info you are looking for:

BRKEWN-3011 - Advanced Troubleshooting of Wireless LANs (2016 Berlin)

https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=89192&tclass=popup

BRKEWN-3000 - Advanced - Analyzing and fixing WiFi issues - Cisco WLC tools and packet capture analysis techniques(2015 Milan)

https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=81865&tclass=popup

Do let me know if you have any specific troubleshooting scenario which is unclear or if any problems with accessing above content from Cisco live:

http://www.ciscolive.com/global/

-Alex

Thanks for the links. :)

I will check them.

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"

Hi alex

problem with the cwa.

the controller is 5760 + ise+web authentication ,web portal takes long time to load or simply not load .
I tried to capture from the ise with inbuilt packet capture in the ise, I could see that there is no request from the particular client .
how do we troubleshoot ?

Thanks

Hi

Here is some info :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5700-series-wireless-lan-controllers/117717-config-wlc-00.html#anc19

Does the web portal login ever work, from your description could be an incorrect ACL or DNS issue.

-What is the software version on your 5760.

-Is it affecting all wireless client types?

-Are you using any proxy settings on the client browser?

-What request from client do you refer to in the ISE packet capture?

1)To start with, you can configure a simple redirect ACL config on WLC .Then test if any improvement.

2)If not,for troubleshooting during problem replication ,i would take a sniffer trace on client PC wireless adapter,ISE tcpdump and the 5760 debugs:

debug client mac <client mac>
debug webauth redirect enable mac <client mac>

Useful WLC show commands:

show wireless client mac-address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx detail
show access-session mac <client-mac> details

For quick analysis:

-On ISE tcpdump, filter on "radius" and check if any "access-accept" frame ,on the access-accept frame under RADIUS packet details, verify for the "session id" being returned under the Cisco-AVPair: url-redirect..

-On WLC debug or show command, verify that the "session id" matches as that seen on the ISE "access-accept" frame.As example a session id marked in bold from show client detail command:

AAA URL redirect................................. https://abcd:8443/portal/gateway?sessionId=0af015fa0000036055fabbe5&portal=1a087fa0-517b-11e5-8e47-005056b25042&action=cwa&token=419d18094b66ffe7d10b9264402f6d7f

-On client PC sniffer capture,filter on "http.response.code==200" and correlate the above session id , it should be identical on client PC sniffer capture.

If you see identical session id across the Client/WLC/ISE, then please verify for DNS, nslookup on client PC:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wlan-security/115951-web-auth-wlc-guide-00.html#anc27

-Alex

Hi Alex,

I was trying to limit the number of sessions on the same guest account credentials to just 1 using the following on ISE 14. patch 3 but it does not work.

Guest Access --- > Configure --- > Guest Type --- > Login Options --- > Maximum simultaneous logins = 1.

I have not tried changing on the WLC the following parameter, Security --- > AAA ---> User Login Policies from 0 to 1 as another person said: "This command is for local users created on the wlc who are using aaa"

I am using WebAuth. Have you seen this?

Hi Alex.

I would like to make what kind of troubleshooting process I can do, I will explain my case.

When I get wired to my Switch and I do a speedtest I get 100Mbs. If i do the same with wireless conecction I get between 60 & 70 Mbps. I try with just one user in the Wlan. I have attached my APs to 3850 Switch and I have 6gb Lag Link between my Switch and WLC 5508.

Thanks!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: