cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Attempting to add 3802e to mobility express network..........seems to be stuck

Doug Williams
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 Cisco AP's 2 3800 and 1 2800 on my wireless network, all running mobility express.  The 2800 is acting as the primary controller.

I am attempting to add a 3802e, I have it connected via PoE to my cisco switch.  When I unboxed it, I immediately did a factory reset to clear it out to its factory reset. It powered up just fine, and I see if via the console GUI, under Access Point Administration.  However, currently it is listed as having CAPWAP, not ME.

The LED has been blinking blue for the past 2 hours indicating "software update in progress"

When I try and select the Access point in the console and then select "Covert to ME" I get the following error, "Mode conversion is not applicable for selected AP's"

Please advise on how to get this converted to ME and join my network.

Doug

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Post the complete output to the command "sh version".

Via the web interface, the new 3802 doesn't get an assigned IP address, so I can't connect to it.

Depending on how old the currently installed software is, it should also be able to join with the CAPWAP image, the only restriction is that you cannot set it as master.
Do you have the right file on the TFTP server?
Can you console into the AP and show the last ~20 lines after it has booted?

I can log into the controller and see all 4 access points on my network, including the new 3802e.  However, the new one isn't even getting an IP address so I can't connect to it to console into it.

Doug

If the new AP can't get an IP address is DHCP Option 43 enabled?

Hi Doug, the AP has a physical serial port, you should use that one, if you have a cable.

Regarding IP address, the flow (simplified) is like this:
- AP powers on and starts the Ethernet
- now it tries to get an DHCP IP address
- if successful it tries to find a controller via a broadcast (and other ways)
- if controller is found, it tries to associate
- if software release is not the same, the controller tells it to download the current version from a tftp server
-and further steps...

So if the dhcp assignment isn't successful at all, you shouldn't see it on the controller.

Thank you for the details explanation.

I have been able to confirm that my current mobility express controller is running 8.5.135.0.   I have no idea what the new 3802e is running.  I have done a factory resent on it. but don't know what what firmware level it is running.

Attached is a screen shot of console.

I have been able to download 8.10.105, but haven't applied it yet.

Is there a set by step procedure you can point me to, to use a TFTP server to upload 8.10.105 to both the controller and the new 3802e ?

So I was able to figure out TFTP, but the file I downloaded is in the .tar format and the controller doesn't seem to like that format.  What format should the new firmware code be in?

Doug

If the AP is in "u-boot", post the complete output to the command "pri".
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card