cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

-B1 regulatory domain?

EdCarmody
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I went into CCW to configure a 9115AXI access point, and saw that there's a -B1 regulatory domain available to select. What's the functional difference between the -B and the -B1 domains?

5 Replies 5

Pls share the cisco.com reference for this -B1

Rasika

Screenshot_2020-05-20 Build Price.png

Interesting that it's not mentioned at https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/wireless/wireless-compliance-tool/index.html
but it is mentioned in a bug description for some AP release notes:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/ios/release/notes/aap-rn-1533-JA8-JA7.html
CSCut06123 Addition of domains B1 & B2 to AP IOS power tables
But that bug is hidden so we can't see the description in any more detail.

Yes, I cannot find any public information that clarifies the differences on -B1 & -B2. If I get any update will share it here

Rasika

I got some information about it. When FCC changed 5GHz rules around 2015/2016, following key changes included (not a full list)

- allow using 120,124,128 & 144

- allow UNII-1 to be used for outdoor deployment & up to 1W for P2P links

- maximum E.I.R.P. at any elevation angle above 30 degrees as measured from the horizon must not exceed 125 mW (21 dBm)

At the time those FCC changes,  Cisco had 1572 AP that deployed among customers with a directional antenna that would exceed the 3rd rule in the above. So Cisco release -B1 for that AP model to limit power on the UNII-1 band so it complies with regulation without being changing that directional antenna that has been deployed.

When the antenna model updated by Cisco later it fully complies with -B2 (or known as -B in public). Since it was a corner case no information published as -B1 & -B2.

In 9115AX context, I am not sure why it is -B1 (since those AP manufactured 2019/2020). In my view that should fully comply with -B regulations.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card