Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup LWAP image to tftp

kayasaman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was just wondering if there was a way to backup the firmware from LWAP AP's to a tftp server?

The reason is and maybe someone might be able to help out or suggest something is that I have 2x 1142 LWAP AP's and 1x 1142 autonomous AP in my lab and would like to attempt a conversion between LWAP -> autonomous and back.

As it is a lab I don't have access to Cisco tac so I am unable to download the lwap image and of course my wireless infrastructure including WLC is EOL.

Outside of acquiring another 1142 lwap what can I do to convert my existing autonomous AP??

It would be nice if Cisco would make there EOL or ancient firmware available to download without tac support but I don't want to get in to a political discussion about that as it never ends...

Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

can you run this command first on AP: debug capwap console cli

AP#debug capwap console cli

and then try again the copy command!!!

View solution in original post

yes to dwonload the complete image in tar format:

Use this command: archive upload-sw tftp:[[//location]/directory]/image-name.tar

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. connect AP and laptop in same network

2. Start TFTp server on laptop

2. run this command on AP:

AP#copy flash: tftp:
Source filename [image name]? flash:image name/image name

example: 

AP002#copy flash: tftp:
Source filename [ap3g2-k9w8-mx.153-3.JA12]? flash:ap3g2-k9w8-mx.153-3.JA12/ap3g2-k9w8-mx.153-3.JA12
Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.179.7
Destination filename [ap3g2-k9w8-mx.153-3.JA12]?
!!
215867 bytes copied in 2.840 secs (76010 bytes/sec)

AP002#

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

Many thanks for the ultra fast response!

There isn't a copy function in the AP as it's lwap:

AP#copy
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

AP#?
Exec commands:
<1-99> Session number to resume
capwap capwap exec commands
cd Change current directory
debug Debugging functions (see also 'undebug')
dir List files on a filesystem
disable Turn off privileged commands
dot1x IEEE 802.1X Exec Commands
enable Turn on privileged commands
exit Exit from the EXEC
help Description of the interactive help system
led LED functions
lock Lock the terminal
login Log in as a particular user
logout Exit from the EXEC
lwapconfig OfficeExtend AP configurations
lwapp lwapp exec commands
monitor Monitoring different system events
more Display the contents of a file
name-connection Name an existing network connection
no Disable debugging functions

Does it need to be taken off the controller for the function to appear?

can you run this command first on AP: debug capwap console cli

AP#debug capwap console cli

and then try again the copy command!!!

That was the trick!!

Many thanks....

Actually I spoke a little too soon..... :-(

I pushed the image to the IOS AP and get:

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

I used the command reference here:

AP#archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://10.0.0.5/c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-23c.JA.tar

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/lwapp-to-autonomous-conversion-and-vice-versa-on-access-points/ta-p/3121542

Well.... the easiest method is to use the archive upload-sw command:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/how-to-backup-ios-images-from-autonomous-access-points/ta-p/3113336

start by issuing that on both lwap and autonomous AP's, then use the: archive download-sw command on the autonomous AP after :-)

Use this command: archive upload-sw tftp:[[//location]/directory]/image-name.tar

Regards

I found that out :-) Thank you....

Many thanks for all the help!!

archive upload-sw  when i run this command it show "invalid input detected at ' ' marker "

@Sandeep Choudhary wrote:

Regards

"back-up" the software by downloading from the Cisco website.

Hello Sandeep , 

debug capwap console cli  is not working on my access point ( not recognized ) 

same for lwapp 

access point model 1852I 

Could you please advise

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@kayasaman wrote:

I was just wondering if there was a way to backup the firmware from LWAP AP's to a tftp server?

Download the CAPWAP IOS from the Cisco website and make sure to get the file with a TAR file extension.

The reason why it's not advisable to download the BIN files from the AP because the AP requires THREE (3) BIN files to run and they need to be run in a particular order (and they can't be run individually).  

If one uses the "archive download-sw" command to upload the TAR file to the AP, the automated script will instruct the AP to load the IOS files correctly.

[quote]
@Leo Laohoo wrote:

@kayasaman wrote:

Download the CAPWAP IOS from the Cisco website and make sure to get the file with a TAR file extension.

[/quote]

Sorry for the html mark up syntax, for some reason the Quote function isn't playing well with my browser (Chromium). That would be fine, but as I mentioned before without Cisco tac it's impossible to do that.

As it's a lab and WLC model and AP's are totally EOL now; even the MIC certs on the AP's have expired instead of fishing around for another EOL AP to work with the WLC, the best solution is to use the command above on the LWAP AP's and upload the tar to the tftp server. Then download the tar from tftp using the reverse command and install the LWAP binary into the Autonomous AP.

Sort of like taking the hard disk image of one machine using a dd copy onto another hard drive and installing it into another machine. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card