cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best configuration to use?

brownr26
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Aironet 1242AG access points.  Currently, one of those access points is in use with an SSID of ABCWIFI.

I want to extend the wireless network to an area that can't be reached by copper or fiber.  So, I've purchased another 1242AG.  What I'm not sure of is how to configure it.  Should I use it as a repeater or in a root-bridge/non-root bridge configuration?

What I'm most confused about is, what do I do with the second radio?  Do I use the 5Ghz as the "backhaul" with a completely separate SSID and then broadcast the normal SSID over the 2.4Ghz?  Or, do I even use the second radio at all?  The key is that the same SSID is used in all locations because the devices in use need to move seemlessly between access points.

Any guidance would be MUCH appreciated.

2 Replies 2

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Robert,

How far is your existing access point and where you plan on putting your new AP. Also can these APs both see each other with no obstructions .. ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

The new AP will be about 100ft. away.  Clear shot to the existing AP because it is in a parking lot.  Signal has already been tested to the proposed location of new access point.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card