cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to cover this concert hall?

Alkemyst71
Level 1
Level 1

We have an existing concert hall that was never planned for WiFi coverage.  We will have to do runs for the lower level.

A picture is below.  The upper level can hold 570 people.  The facility is about 100x100 feet with the inner portion of 68x75' being open to a lower level which can hold 250 people and has a 68x50' stage.  There is expanding stadium style seating that retracts back under the upper level when not in use.  Certain events will use the seating and others will be standing.  About the same number of people will be the maximum (250 in the lower level) either way.

The upper level we have enough drops to get adequate coverage, but we worry about the lower level.  We can run copper and are hoping 4 AP's with patch antennas facing inward will cover it.

The walls at the lower level are 12-20' tall as they slope to the back and the upper ceiling is about 50-60' high.

We are using Cisco AP's on a WLC now.

Any thoughts of covering this space efficiently?

Thanks

hall.png

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You probably need to look at the stadium antennas for this. I would actually get some and test it out. Setup an ap in autonomous mode and have someone mount that while on a lift so that you can check signal from various areas to get you an idea of where the signal covers. You will have to mount in various angles so a site survey would help.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Get a wireless site survey done correctly.

They are looking to do this on a budget, I was hoping there would be someone that covered a similar simple area like this.

Is there a way we can do our own survey?  Most of the software out there that is low cost to free doesn't really survey.

I am Ekahau certified myself and a wireless CCNA, but I don't have the tools I need.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card