Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridge mode not supported for lap1261N

PaoloBoaretto
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a WLC2504 and 2 LAP1261N (converted from autonomous to lightweight) with release 7.0.116.0 and I want to create a point-to-point mesh link between the 2 APs. When trying to change the APs mode from local to bridge I receive the message "This AP does not support bridge mode" even if the release notes say that mesh is supported on AP1261N. I tried to change the mode from gui and also from CLI. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Paolo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yes sir.  Have to convert it to Autonomous (aIOS) to be able to do this on the 2.4GHz

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can't do a MESH with the 1261, as it only has a 2.4GHz radio.

MESH links are across the 5GHz radio.  You would need to have a 1262 to be able to do this.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Thanks for fast replay Stephen. My reseller said me that it was possible. You sure 100%?

in aIOS you can tell it to bridge on the 2.4GHz Radio, it's not ideal but it can be done.

for WLC based:

The Cisco 1130 and 1240 ( all indoor AP ) are equipped with the following two simultaneously operating radios:

2.4-GHz radio used for client access

5-GHz radio used for data backhaul

The 5-GHz radio supports the 5.15 GHz, 5.25 GHz, 5.47, and 5.8 GHz bands.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/7.0/design/guide/MeshAP_70.html

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Yup, 100% sure .. The backhaul is built on the 5 GHz side of the AP. That AP doesnt have a 5 GHz radio ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Steve, I'm not understanding if I can bridge or not on the 2.4 Ghz with LAP1261N.

Should I give any special command in the WLC?

Thanks again

Steve wrote:

in aIOS you can tell it to bridge on the 2.4GHz Radio, it's not ideal but it can be done.

So I'm confused. Can I tell to bridge on the 2.4 Ghz, maybe converting from Lightweight AP to Autonomous AP?

yes sir.  Have to convert it to Autonomous (aIOS) to be able to do this on the 2.4GHz

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Other roads? Workgroup bridge? Does it make sense?

WGB could be an option, depending on how far away this area is, and how many users are going to need access.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

The distance is 50 meters and the users are just 2 or 3. I've no experience in cisco mesh and workgroup bridge. What do you suggest me?

Do you know the command to tell the AP to bridge on 2,4 Ghz? I've looked the manual with no success.

Well, you'll need two aIOS AP to bridge.  and for 50m, I would recommend bridge vs WGB.

interface dot11radio0

station-role root bridge

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

I wish the WLC would call it MESH and not Bridge mode for this very issue. It can be confusing for folks. 

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card