Views
Helpful
Replies

C88xVA-W Autonomous AP stays to bootloader

leosoft
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have three routers.  Two C887VA-W and one C886W-VA that actually having the same issue.  Both are upgraded to autonomous AP successfully (...i think) with proper format and then installing the ap802-k9w7-tar.153...tar image and finally enter also "service-module wlan-ap 0 bootimage autonomous" on my router config etc.  

When you turn on any of my router for the first time, AP goes to bootloader and stays forever to ap: prompt till you enter in by "service-module wlan-ap 0 session" and you give manually "boot" command or if you reset the AP again (and sometimes again and again) by "service-module wlan-ap 0 reset".   This is a really crazy issue for me, once I had something similar in the past with some older 870 series routers, i managed to fix it up by setting the proper config register.  But here, as far as I checked already, the register appears to be correct "0xF" in all of my C88xVA-W. 

And sometimes if you reset the autonomous AP, when it is loading back the configuration,  the Dot11Radio0 interface appears to invalid and it does not understand any command related with it.  Behaving like the configuration belongs to a different model.  And of course if you reboot again (and maybe again) the autonomous AP finally loads correctly and works fine.

BTW all of the above issues are during the boot procedure.  If you finally succeed to load everything correctly, then AP works fine for weeks.  Of course, I tried to re-format again both routers, to try different IOS (from older till the latest one), try different autonomous AP images but unfortunately no improvement.

Does anybody had experiencing something similar????????

Thanks for your time anyway

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello again (...months later)

Even if I spent hundreds of hours to find out what was going on with this strange issue, nothing found really and the most weird was that nobody in this world experienced something similar.   It's not necessary to describe once again that before I open this thread, I already tried many many many different IOS versions (...from 156 till the latest available 158-3.M1) without any success.    

So fully disappointed from my bad luck, I decided to live with my issue, at least until I will upgrade my routers (C88xVA) with some newer models.

Finally, last week I came across with the very latest image of 158-3.M2 and to be honest, I felt really lazy to test this one as well but as we say in Greece, hope is the last thing which is dying....  

And.... YES !!!!  My issue seems to be solved out in this version.  Autonomous AP is booting and staring correctly without need any reload or reset of the service-module.  Keep in your mind, that I didn't touch anything from my configurations during this new image test, and the problem appears to be fixed at all of my three routers!!!

BTW, I need to check the release notes just from curiosity, and find out if there is anything related there...

Thanks to everyone who read this thread   

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have never seen anything like this.
Have you tried different IOS version?

Hello,

At least three different versions of IOS (all in advipservices mode).  Tried 156-3.M4, 157-3.M2, 158-3.M and maybe even more.  Now I am using the latest one 158-3.M1 with the latest autonomous AP image (ap802-k9w7) of 153-3.JF9.  And the most crazy?  Exactly the same issue on three different routers !!!!!

Is there any way to monitor the loading procedure of the autonomous AP during a power on through console cable?  Currently when I power on, I can monitor the boot procedure of each router but not of the AP image till the time I enter in by "service-module wlan-ap 0 session".  As you can understand, I am trying to find if there is any special error that makes it stop in bootloader "ap:"  but during the very first boot after power on...

Thanks for your time

Hello again,

I'm just wondering... Can I be the only one who I am experiencing this issue??? 

And even if I have to believe that all this maybe caused by a hardware corruption or so, Is it possible happen on both of my three units???

Thanks again for your time guys

Hello again (...months later)

Even if I spent hundreds of hours to find out what was going on with this strange issue, nothing found really and the most weird was that nobody in this world experienced something similar.   It's not necessary to describe once again that before I open this thread, I already tried many many many different IOS versions (...from 156 till the latest available 158-3.M1) without any success.    

So fully disappointed from my bad luck, I decided to live with my issue, at least until I will upgrade my routers (C88xVA) with some newer models.

Finally, last week I came across with the very latest image of 158-3.M2 and to be honest, I felt really lazy to test this one as well but as we say in Greece, hope is the last thing which is dying....  

And.... YES !!!!  My issue seems to be solved out in this version.  Autonomous AP is booting and staring correctly without need any reload or reset of the service-module.  Keep in your mind, that I didn't touch anything from my configurations during this new image test, and the problem appears to be fixed at all of my three routers!!!

BTW, I need to check the release notes just from curiosity, and find out if there is anything related there...

Thanks to everyone who read this thread   

The release notes, for the curious: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/15-8m/release/notes/15-8-3-m-rel-notes.html#concept_jts_wrj_p2b
There was this one fixed: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvn41467
And this: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvn68743
But maybe it was also another fix, because those two don't sound very promising.

Yes maybe.. 

But in any case, the mystery still remain.  How can I be the only one in this forum who came across with this strange bug???  

Thanks anyway

The second bug I posted fixes some flash corruption issues. There is a tiny chance that part of the flash storage was corrupt and the new image repaired this.

Maybe... But is it possible that part of the flash storage been corrupted in three different boxes?  Btw, both routers was purchased from different countries and not at the same time.  OK, someone could believe that maybe there was a bug.  But in this case, nobody else had it till now? 

Let's see...   

No, then I don't believe that was the reason. No idea what it was, but there are some other bugs fixed. Thanks for clarifying.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: