Helpful
Replies

C9120AXI-EWC and C9120AXI embedded wireless controller

vladi0782
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone
The Access Point C9120AXI-EWC can be converted to C9120AXI and vice versa

embedded wireless controller Can it be migrated to a physical controller or to the cloud as it could be?

If it were possible, would it have any cost?
Thanks in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

When you generate a quote, you can specify what firmware you want pre-loaded: EWC/ME or CAPWAP.
And here's the gotcha: You will also need a valid Service Contract to be able to download either of the firmware.
If the AP will be converted to CAPWAP, a valid Service Contract for the WLC is required. If downloading EWC, a valid Service Contract for the "controller" AP is required.

However, sometimes one can download the EWC/ME firmware without a valid Service Contract.  For example, if you read THIS and scroll down to "Customers Without Service Contract Section" ...

View solution in original post

I think you will have to wait and see. I think maybe there is cost for license for ewc just like ios. I would believe the software is free if you have support.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is the term "EWC" now being using by Marketing, is it?
If EWC is Mobility Express, then yes. The AP can be converted from Mobility Express/EWC to CAPWAP (and vice versa).
NOTE: I think the terms changed because Mobility Express firmware was free.

I guess you have to wait to see if the code comes out and the process to change the image.
-Scott

1.PNG

Mobility Express is the AireOS WLC on the AP and EWC is the IOS-XE WLC on the AP. AX APs support EWC and AC APs support ME.

vladi0782
Level 1
Level 1

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9120ax-series-access-points/datasheet-c78-742115.html?oid=powen019216

Cisco Catalyst 9120I Access Point: Indoor environments, with internal antennas

●  C9120AXI-x: Cisco Catalyst 9120 Series

Cisco Catalyst 9120I Access Point: Indoor environments, with internal antennas, with embedded wireless controller

●  C9120AXI-EWC-x: Cisco Catalyst 9120 Series

the  Cisco Embedded Wireless Controller on Catalyst Access Points document says:

Capture.PNG

It does not indicate cost or the way to do it

When you generate a quote, you can specify what firmware you want pre-loaded: EWC/ME or CAPWAP.
And here's the gotcha: You will also need a valid Service Contract to be able to download either of the firmware.
If the AP will be converted to CAPWAP, a valid Service Contract for the WLC is required. If downloading EWC, a valid Service Contract for the "controller" AP is required.

However, sometimes one can download the EWC/ME firmware without a valid Service Contract.  For example, if you read THIS and scroll down to "Customers Without Service Contract Section" ...

I think you will have to wait and see. I think maybe there is cost for license for ewc just like ios. I would believe the software is free if you have support.
-Scott

vladi0782
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everyone for your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card