Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800 Software Upgrade ED to MD and other question

as00001111
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I got 2 virtual C9800 controller on 16.12.2s.

HA is configured which means they act as active passive.

1) Is it possible to do an upgrade from 16.12.2s ED to recommended version 16.12.3 MD ?

2) will there be any impact?

3) will both controllers be upgraded?

4) do I need to check ISSU?

5) do I need to check Hitless upgrade?

Thank you!

2 Replies 2

Tobias Heisele
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you can upgrade both chassis at once - I prefer using the cli command "install add .." instead of Gui. ISSU is not supported in 16.12., so you need to reload the whole cluster, which leads us to the "impact" question.

I haven't played around with AP image predownload, so I can't yet help you with this, but it will reduce your downtime since the aps need only to reboot and not fetching the image before.

Good luck!

ISSU is only supported with an image that has issu or v2 in the file name. It’s a different image file because it adds checks. Like mentioned on the other post, the image you want to upgrade to and the image that you have doesn’t support ISSU. The upgrade will automatically push the image to each ap which is not impacting. The reload however is impacting if you are on SSO, but will take no longer than 10 minutes. So just make sure you take a long enough downtime, I always take an hour or two just to make sure everything is working well after the change.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: