cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can APs with mobility images be used with WLCs?

aeccles
Level 1
Level 1

We have some of the AIR-AP3802I-B-K9C APs that come with a Mobility Express image on them.  If I connect these to a network with a WLC 5508, will the APs discover the controller and download a new  image from the controller and work, or do I have to manually remove and add a new image to them?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Mikey Boy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, you need to convert the mobility express AP to CAPWAP. From the CLI:

ap-type capwap

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/82/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide_82/appendix.html#topic_A575EE4B2A054DE5BAF1931A7D384DB5

Thanks for the link to the article - one follow up question.

The process from the link says to:

1. Connect to the Console Port, Telnet or SSH to the AP.
2. Login to the Mobility Express controller console.
3. In the Mobility Express controller console, use the command apciscoshell to connect to the AP console.
4. Login to the AP console using the username Cisco and password Cisco. Both are case-sensitive.
5. Enter enable.
6. Enter the command ap-type capwap, and confirm .

We never set these APs up, and are not familiar with Mobility Express.  So I'm not sure what is entailed with steps 2 and 3.  Do you know how you log into the "Mobility Express controller console"?  Is that on the AP itself?  Username/Password?  Does anything need to be setup elsewhere?

Thanks again!

Hi, you can use a standard Cisco console cable and connect to the blue port on the back of the AP.

If you don't have one you can ssh into the IP address of the mobility controller. This will ask you for a username and password.

Once entered follow the commands in the guide, nothing else needed then to allow them to search for a WLC using capwap. 

Regards

Is the mobility controller embedded in the AP or something separate?

If you know the management IP address for the APs then that is the controller one that you are logging into.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card