cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Cisco Aironet 1260 Access Point work without Controller??

Bonnie Mtengwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hie

I would like to buy Cisco  Aironet 1260 Access Points, i just want to use them independantly so   i want to know do they work without the Wireless LAN Controller? or i  have to have the controller for them to work? they will be in different locations so i cant have a controller per each location.

Thanks

Bonnie

9 Replies 9

1260 Aps currently are only offered as unified hence you will need wlc for it to work.

Sri

Thanks for the info, I currently have Aironet 1140s so is there another model that has the same form factor as the 1140 that i can buy and works without the WLC?

what about the 3500 does it need the WLC as well?

bonnie

1140 currently works without WLC.. regarding the 3500 we still done have the Autonomous image but in fututre we may.. but currentlty even for 3500 we need WLC..

lemme know if this answered your question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

You have the right 1140 Ap choice in that form factor being a 802.11n capable.

3500 requires wlc

Srini

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

i just want to use them independantly so   i want to know do they work without the Wireless LAN Controller?

ANS - As of now there is Autononmous Image for 1260 and i guess we dont as well. But will keep you posted at the day we have it..

i  have  to have the controller for them to work?

ANS - Currently YES.. yo uneed to have the WLC to get this up.

they will be in different  locations so i cant have a controller per each location.

ANS - We need to check if 1260 supports HREAP.. if it is then no need to have a WLC per location.. this AP will act as HREAP.

Lemme know if this answered your question.

Regards
Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

vreusoft6
Level 1
Level 1

What is the current situation ? Do I still need a controller for this AP?

What is the current situation ? Do I still need a controller for this AP?

The 1260 will now work with autonomous IOS (non-controller IOS).

Both 1260 and 1140 can work with and without WLC.

Based on your requirement to keep APs on multiple different stores you can use hreap solution that require WLC.

With hreap solution based on your budget you can either keep one wlc per site and failover wlc at datacenter or couple of wlc at datacenter(without local controller at each site) where AP can talk to WLC via wan circuit.

chan
Level 1
Level 1

You can configure 1260 as autonomous AP without WLC, but if you do this only because you need to install them in remote locations, you'd better configure them as H-REAP (new name from 7.2 is FlexConnect).  It is so much easier to manage.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card