Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot print using Airprint to HP printers through WLC 5508

Colin Higgins
Level 2
Level 2

I have a WLC 5508 running 8.5.120 code.

I have wireless client who need to print from Apple devices to a HP M426 laserjet printer. So I set up the WLC for mDNS by doing the following:

1. Enabling mDNS snooping

2. Enabling global multicast and IGMP snooping

3. For the default-mdns-policy, I've enabled the _ipp._tcp.local. , _ipps._tcp.local. , _printer._tcp.local service names

4. Put both the clients and the printer on the same WLAN, and made sure the mDNS policy was enabled for the WLAN

5. Verified the clients could ping the HP printer 

I see both the Brother and the HP printer in Controller-->Domain Name-->Summary  ,they are registered with the WLC with the correct MAC addresses and VLAN assignments.

In mDNS browser both devices show up, and the HP is using several service strings

But we can print the Brother printer, but not the HP. The HP will sometimes show up as an available Airprint printer but then vanish from the client. It never vanishes from the controller. I have tried updating the firmware, but it didn't help.

What could be the issue here? Did I forget to do something? 

3 Replies 3

Hi @Colin Higgins 

Maybe you can try with  peer to peer blocking. Check if its enable: show wlan <id_wlan> If its enable try diabling it.

config wlan peer-blocking disable <id_wlan>

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

I checked the peer-to-peer blocking it was already disabled

I figured it out, and this is important

The newer HP printers use IPv6 multicast for Bonjour/Airprint. It will not work over IPv4

You have to go into Controller-->Multicast-->Enable MLD Snooping

Without that checked, it will never work. Also make sure IPv6 is turned on on the printer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: