Views
Helpful
Replies

CAPWAP and LAG

DAVIES604
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can someone answer whats probably a simple question please, I can't quite find an answer that I'm happy with and I've not really got much WiFi experience.

If I have an AP with a single physical connection to a switch, and the path from the switch to the WLC involves aggregated ports along the way, and the WLC is configured for LAG to it's neighbour switch, will a separate tunnel be created between the AP and WLC for each client/connection to utilise the full potential bandwidth, or will connections initiated from the AP always use the same tunnel connection?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I think you need to just look at how LAG works alongside etherchannel mode on. Basically its source destination ip that will determine what port on the switch and WLC the traffic will be placed on. This has nothing to do with CAPWAP as the AP and WLC will create a tunnel again based on the etherchannel mode on. Same thing for client traffic src-dst-ip.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott, thanks for the reply. I read a Cisco doc that stated all traffic including client traffic is sent down the capwap tunnel, my question really was, which I think you’ve answered, is does a new tunnel get created each time and so can make use of the load-balancing across etherchannels along the path, in other words does a single AP create multiple tunnels for all connected clients? Thanks

No... the Capwap is a single connection from ap to controller. This is transparent to any user traffic.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Also read into Flexconnect if you expect client traffic to become an issue (it rarely is).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card