Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst EWC vs Catalyst AP

PBethek3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The company I work for is having failing equipment, and we are looking to replace with Catalyst APs. However, our existing controller is not supportive of the Catalyst APs. So, we are looking into buying one Catalyst C9115AXI-EWC-B, or similar AP. However, the lead time on that is out into march, and I am wondering if there are hardware differences between the Catalyst AP and the EWC variants, otherwise, would there be an option to purchase a C9115AXI-B and purchase a firmware update to add the EWC functionality. It is not in our budget at the moment to upgrade our WLC. 

Any help or advice that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

~Paul III

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You're better off purchasing the new Catalyst 9K APs and the 9800 controllers as this will be the new "norm".

That is what I'm attempting to do, the Catalyst C9115AXI-EWC-B is the embedded 9800 controller on AP variant, however, as stated, it is not in the budget to upgrade our controller.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
You're better off purchasing the new Catalyst 9K APs and the 9800 controllers as this will be the new "norm".

You have to look at what you can purchase and how you would be able to migrate. If you don’t have budget, I would just leave everything as is until you get the funding to complete your new design. You never mentioned what you are currently running, but again, do it right the first time and if that is waiting for money, then wait until they get you the money. Don’t half. a$$ it just because ap’s are failing, that is a reason to get more money.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We are currently running Cisco Aironet 2602i access points and a WLC5508. We have 18 access points, soon to be expanding and adding another 15 when the building expansion happens. It's not a matter of getting more money. It legitimately a matter of people who control the flow of money not giving priority to upgrading equipment. We aren't trying to half it. We are trying to upgrade as they fail so that I can implement new procedures as this happens.

Here is a link to the software you can download for VM’s:
https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286322605/type/282046477/release/Gibraltar-16.12.1s

Here is the release notes that can help with the install:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/16-12/release-notes/rn-16-121-9800.html

The license will be part of the AP purchase as its RTU, right to use.
-Scott

I have been in that same situation and the problem is fix what is broken, but you spend money doing that and you are stuck with a hybrid mix of devices. Then when you ask for money for a new implementation, they don’t give it to you because you already asked for money. You don’t have smartness for the ap’s that are failing? This can help you get by for now.
-Scott

Just to add, depending on what you want to do and how many ap’s you have, the ewc ap can. Support 50 or 100 depending on the model you purchase. Now they are backwards compatible, but to go from capwap to ewc, will take some manual effort to convert. Now you can setup an ewc VM if you want or purchase a 9800-L if you have less than 250 ap’s.
-Scott

I haven't found any documentation helping me understand the process of running and purchasing the software to run it in a VM. Would you be able to help point me in the right direction?
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card