Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Integrated WLC won't join with any 2602 WAPS

Alright Cisco Community,

I thought I'd give my home network an upgrade and run some WAPS from an integrated WLC I've had kicking around for a long time, but I'm at a total loss (10 hours into this project later) to get any of the WAPs to behave as they're supposed to. WLC is set up, I believe, as it's supposed to be, and everything on the switch is WIDE open (everything is in VLAN 500, and we're only trying to get the WAPS to broadcast a signal--I'll establish downstream connectivity later).

Long story short, Management and AP Managment VLANS and Subnets are the same, and I've tried manually attaching IP addresses to the WAPs and using DCHP, factory reboots, and even cleared the flash out of one (bricks it, btw, until I can get connectivity up with the WLC). I tried to do a CAPWAP debug dump on the service port of the WLC, but that didn't give me any useful output (configs/versions/dumps are in attached file). I'm at a total loss. The WAPS just power cycle when I plug them in, and spit out error messages when I console to them that they can't find/join the WLC even though I can ping both ways WLC->WAP and WAP->WLC. I REALLY hope someone in the wireless community can tell me I'm doing something stupid and don't need to buy a new wireless controller for the WAPS I just purchased to work. Thanks!

-Zac

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 3750WS cannot support the 2600.

The "highest" firmware the 3750WS can go is 7.0.X.X but the 2600 requires a controller that can run 7.2.110.0.

View solution in original post

I agree with Leo. AP2600 is supported Release 7.2.110 or later.
refer to:
Item

Specification

Part Numbers

The Cisco Aironet 2600i Access Point: Indoor environments with internal antennas

● AIR-CAP2602I-x-K9: Dual-band controller-based 802.11a/g/n
● AIR-CAP2602I-xK910: Eco-pack (dual-band 802.11a/g/n) 10 quantity access points
● AIR-SAP2602I-x-K9: Dual-band autonomous 802.11a/g/n
● AIR-SAP2602I-x-K95: Eco-pack (dual-band 802.11a/g/n) 5 quantity access points
The Cisco Aironet 2600e Access Point: Indoor, challenging environments with external antennas

● AIR-CAP2602E-x-K9: Dual-band controller-based 802.11a/g/n
● AIR-CAP2602E-xK910: Eco-pack (dual-band 802.11a/g/n) 10 quantity access points
● AIR-SAP2602E-x-K9: Dual-band autonomous 802.11a/g/n
● AIR-SAP2602E-x-K95: Eco-pack (dual-band 802.11a/g/n) 5 quantity access points
Cisco SMARTnet® Service for the Cisco Aironet 2600i Access Point with internal and External antennas

● CON-SNT-y - SMARTnet 8x5xNBD 2600i/e access point (dual-band 802.11 a/g/n)
(e.g. CON-SNT-C262IE for AP2600 internal antenna for E Domain)
Cisco Wireless LAN Services

● AS-WLAN-CNSLT -Cisco Wireless LAN Network Planning and Design Service
● AS-WLAN-CNSLT -Cisco Wireless LAN 802.11n Migration Service
● AS-WLAN-CNSLT -Cisco Wireless LAN Performance and Security Assessment Service
Regulatory Domains: (x = regulatory domain)

Customers are responsible for verifying approval for use in their individual countries. To verify approval and to identify the regulatory domain that corresponds to a particular country, visit: http://www.cisco.com/go/aironet/compliance.

Not all regulatory domains have been approved. As they are approved, the part numbers will be available on the Global Price List.

Software

Cisco Unified Wireless Network Software Release 7.2.110 or later.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-2600-series/data_sheet_c78-709514.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 3750WS cannot support the 2600.

The "highest" firmware the 3750WS can go is 7.0.X.X but the 2600 requires a controller that can run 7.2.110.0.

I guess I misread the compatibility numbers and figured 7.x would work cross-platform. Again, zero background in wireless. As someone who has some background in wireless, would you upgrade the WLC to run with the 2602 (I chose that model because they seem to be generally complaint-free), or buy an older model of AP to run with the 3750? I like that the 3750 is a relatively low-profile PoE switch, and that I already own one, but I could run a new WLC through a PoE switch if I had to...

One can get used 2504 cheap.
The 2504 can support 2600.

A 5508 is slightly cheaper and rack-mountable. Would that also work? Which would you choose? It's comparable in price to the 2504, and I honestly don't know enough about them to make an informed decision...

Either will do fine.

I agree with Leo. AP2600 is supported Release 7.2.110 or later.
refer to:
Item

Specification

Part Numbers

The Cisco Aironet 2600i Access Point: Indoor environments with internal antennas

● AIR-CAP2602I-x-K9: Dual-band controller-based 802.11a/g/n
● AIR-CAP2602I-xK910: Eco-pack (dual-band 802.11a/g/n) 10 quantity access points
● AIR-SAP2602I-x-K9: Dual-band autonomous 802.11a/g/n
● AIR-SAP2602I-x-K95: Eco-pack (dual-band 802.11a/g/n) 5 quantity access points
The Cisco Aironet 2600e Access Point: Indoor, challenging environments with external antennas

● AIR-CAP2602E-x-K9: Dual-band controller-based 802.11a/g/n
● AIR-CAP2602E-xK910: Eco-pack (dual-band 802.11a/g/n) 10 quantity access points
● AIR-SAP2602E-x-K9: Dual-band autonomous 802.11a/g/n
● AIR-SAP2602E-x-K95: Eco-pack (dual-band 802.11a/g/n) 5 quantity access points
Cisco SMARTnet® Service for the Cisco Aironet 2600i Access Point with internal and External antennas

● CON-SNT-y - SMARTnet 8x5xNBD 2600i/e access point (dual-band 802.11 a/g/n)
(e.g. CON-SNT-C262IE for AP2600 internal antenna for E Domain)
Cisco Wireless LAN Services

● AS-WLAN-CNSLT -Cisco Wireless LAN Network Planning and Design Service
● AS-WLAN-CNSLT -Cisco Wireless LAN 802.11n Migration Service
● AS-WLAN-CNSLT -Cisco Wireless LAN Performance and Security Assessment Service
Regulatory Domains: (x = regulatory domain)

Customers are responsible for verifying approval for use in their individual countries. To verify approval and to identify the regulatory domain that corresponds to a particular country, visit: http://www.cisco.com/go/aironet/compliance.

Not all regulatory domains have been approved. As they are approved, the part numbers will be available on the Global Price List.

Software

Cisco Unified Wireless Network Software Release 7.2.110 or later.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-2600-series/data_sheet_c78-709514.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card