cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1040 IOS to CAPWAP possible?

jvagn
Level 1
Level 1

I´m looking to a project where we want to start using Autonomous AP with possibility to change to controller based on near future.

Will Cisco Aironet 1040 Series Access Points allow us to change from IOS to CAPWAP when needed? I read some posts about the oposite process (CAPWAP to IOS) so I think it´s possible on both way. Can some one confirm this to me?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Here is the way we convert the AP from LWAPP to IOS  (make sure you are using the right image), example is for 1142 AP..

The  image that is on the device is LWAPP one, not the autonomous..  if  you  want to use the AP in autonomous mode then the image should be  W7..   that is..

c1140-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar not c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-23c.JA.tar

I request you to do download any image from the below link and perform the conversion from LWAPP image to autonomous..

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/PlatformList.x?sftType=IOS+Software&mdfid=282439881&treeName=Wireless&mdfLevel=Model&url=null&modelName=Cisco+Aironet+1140+Access+Point&isPlatform=N&treeMdfId=278875243&modifmdfid=null&imname=&hybrid=Y&imst...

the methos to convert is..

download TFTPd32 from google and install it on ur PC.. point the image that you have downloaded in the TFTP server..

connect    a ethernet cable between ur laptop and AP.. both should be in the  same   subnet.. and connect a console cable and get the hyperterminal  console   access and issue the command.. make sure you are able to ping  the PC  and the AP and vice versa!!

AP>en

AP#debug lwapp console cli or debug capwap console cli

AP#config t

AP(confg)int fa 0

AP(confg-if)ip addr (same subnet as that of the laptop)

AP(confg-if)end

AP#archieve download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp:///

AP#archieve download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://<10.0.0.5>/c1140-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar

The above command will do it for you!!

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Now to reconvert the AP back to LWAPP..

Download the LWAPP image(W8) from the cisco website and get the console access the AP and just issue the command..

archive download-sw/overwrite/force-reload tftp:////

I assume we have the TFTPd32 downloaded from google and in the TFTPd32 pointing to the image.

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Yes,

You are right!! we con convert in both ways..

here is the link to download the aotonomous image on 1040 AP

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283445229&flowid=17961&softwareid=280805680&release=12.4.25d-JA&rellifecycle=ED&relind=AVAILABLE&reltype=latest

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Here is the way we convert the AP from LWAPP to IOS  (make sure you are using the right image), example is for 1142 AP..

The  image that is on the device is LWAPP one, not the autonomous..  if  you  want to use the AP in autonomous mode then the image should be  W7..   that is..

c1140-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar not c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-23c.JA.tar

I request you to do download any image from the below link and perform the conversion from LWAPP image to autonomous..

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/PlatformList.x?sftType=IOS+Software&mdfid=282439881&treeName=Wireless&mdfLevel=Model&url=null&modelName=Cisco+Aironet+1140+Access+Point&isPlatform=N&treeMdfId=278875243&modifmdfid=null&imname=&hybrid=Y&imst...

the methos to convert is..

download TFTPd32 from google and install it on ur PC.. point the image that you have downloaded in the TFTP server..

connect    a ethernet cable between ur laptop and AP.. both should be in the  same   subnet.. and connect a console cable and get the hyperterminal  console   access and issue the command.. make sure you are able to ping  the PC  and the AP and vice versa!!

AP>en

AP#debug lwapp console cli or debug capwap console cli

AP#config t

AP(confg)int fa 0

AP(confg-if)ip addr (same subnet as that of the laptop)

AP(confg-if)end

AP#archieve download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp:///

AP#archieve download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://<10.0.0.5>/c1140-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar

The above command will do it for you!!

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Now to reconvert the AP back to LWAPP..

Download the LWAPP image(W8) from the cisco website and get the console access the AP and just issue the command..

archive download-sw/overwrite/force-reload tftp:////

I assume we have the TFTPd32 downloaded from google and in the TFTPd32 pointing to the image.

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

Kinda weird, the 1040 CAPWAP images were NOT in Cisco download link. All I can find is 1140 though I carefully click on 1040 APs. Can you verify?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

not a problem!!

1140 image can be used for 1040...

here is the link to download the same

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283445229&flowid=17961&softwareid=280805680&release=12.4.25d-JA1&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

download the image c1140-k9w8-tar.124-23c.JA4.tar

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card