Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1532I not joining WLC5508

sewlcomau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As per Leo Laohoo 's recommendation - starting  a new thread instead of adding to 'https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10877506/ap-fails-join-controller'. The temptation to interject into that thread was too much - seeing that manjil.bhetwal1013 's post was practically identical to the log output we are seeing here. Equipment configured as follows:

WLAN controller: WLC5508. Version 8.2.100. Active fleet of APs consisting predominantly of 2700-series, 1140-series & 1600-series APs.

New Access Point - 1532I. Originally started with ... what appears to be LWAP OS version: ap1g3-k9w8-tar.153-3.JC.

Practically identical logs to Manjil's.

*Nov 25 11:08:35.000: %CAPWAP-5-DTLSREQSEND: DTLS connection request sent peer_ip: 192.168.12.100 peer_port: 5246
*Nov 25 11:09:26.999: DTLS_CLIENT_ERROR: ../capwap/base_capwap

/dtls/base_capwap_dtls_connection_db.c:2214 Max retransmission count reached for Connection 0x8717754!

*Nov 25 11:09:34.999: %DTLS-5-SEND_ALERT: Send FATAL : Close notify Alert to 192.168.12.100:5246
*Nov 25 11:09:59.999: AP has SHA2 MIC certificate - Using SHA2 MIC certificate for DTLS.

Turned up debugging with:

debug dtls client // event

Attached info.txt file provides further information - logging cycle after the debug command was issued.

I then tftp/upgraded the LWAP OS to: ap1g3-k9w8-mx.153-3.JD

No notable change.

I then shifted to an alternate WLC5508; which I had upgraded to ver 8.2.121.

No notable change.

Any thoughts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  • Select the Security tab.
  • Expand AAA and select AP Policies.
  • Click the Add button in the far right.
  • Under Add AP to Authorization List enter the MAC Address of the Access Point in the MAC Address text box.(The MAC Address can be found either on the bottom of the Access Point on the serial number sticker, or, by starting a console session to the Access Point. When in the console session the default host name is the MAC Address of the AP).
  • Click the Add button.
  • Click the Apply button.
  • Click the Wireless tab.
  • Under the Wireless>All APs the select  then  go to  General tab, click the AP Mode drop down box and select ‘Local’.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  • Select the Security tab.
  • Expand AAA and select AP Policies.
  • Click the Add button in the far right.
  • Under Add AP to Authorization List enter the MAC Address of the Access Point in the MAC Address text box.(The MAC Address can be found either on the bottom of the Access Point on the serial number sticker, or, by starting a console session to the Access Point. When in the console session the default host name is the MAC Address of the AP).
  • Click the Add button.
  • Click the Apply button.
  • Click the Wireless tab.
  • Under the Wireless>All APs the select  then  go to  General tab, click the AP Mode drop down box and select ‘Local’.

Hi Leo,

This was the answer we were looking for. Unfortunately I had already found it at: "http://www.networkoc.net/cap1532i-does-not-join-the-wlc/" - but the WLC reported an entirely different MAC address from the AP. I.e. *Definitely* use the MAC address stamped on the (AP) unit rather than the one which the WLC sees as failing authentication each time in the logs. Anyway - problem seems to be resolved; thanks again!

SEW

I had the exact same issue with 1532 APs not joining a 5508 WLC. The tip here, did the trick. However, we are going to order around 80 of those access points, soon. 

Is there a final solution for this problem? I dont see myself entering 80 MAC addresses before configuring these access points. We whip them to distand locations where non-IT employees connect them up to the network. Having to write down all MACs could cause lots of problems with typos.

Thanks and best regards

Mario - if there is a final answer to this, then I never found it. My fleet of 1532s is much smaller than yours; so is manageable even with this quirk. I imagine if you were ordering 80 units, there would be a distinct possibility of consecutive MAC addresses - you may be able to cut and paste to a certain degree. Or possibly even script this at the CLI for the WLC?

Regards,

SEW

Leo I am trying to do the exact same thing you indicate below on a Cisco 2504 Controller.  When I do so I get a pop up message stating that "Key Hash is needed for location servers with SSC"

Leo I am trying to do the exact same thing you indicate below on a Cisco 2504 Controller. When I do so I get a pop up message stating that "Key Hash is needed for location servers with SSC"
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card