cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2504 how to disconnect 3502 APs through GUI or CLI

ROB ADAMS
Level 1
Level 1

I have APs in dowloading status and in order to reboot the WLC to set the boot image to backup the APs need not be connected. I wish not to shut the AP ports on the switch. Is the a GUI or CLI command to do this?

2504 WLCs with 7.2, 7.4, 7.6 firmware. WLCs are in the field and need to be configured remotely.

7 Replies 7

PETER MOOREY
Level 1
Level 1

You should be able to use CLI command 'reset system forced' if your WLC software is fairly new.  

Hope this helps,

Pete.

Peter,

I forgot to mention these WLCs are in the field. I need to downgrade the FW(7.4 and 7.6) to 7.2 remotely.

I am looking for practical solution instead of shutting 12 AP ports, downgrading the WLC, rebooting and enabling the AP ports. Looking for a GUI of CLI command to disconnect the APs from the WLC w/o shut and no shut on the AP ports.

That feature doesn't exist unfortunately.

If you have a L3 interface in the path between the WLC and the APs you might wish to block CAPWAP control (UDP 5246) to prevent the APs from registering.

Pete. 

Thanks Peter.

Can this be done with one GUI change or CLI command. Remember I have 12 APs. Looking for a solution to do on the WLC that will take effect on all 12 APs with one/two commands.

You can't block CAPWAP ports on the WLC unfortunately, it needs to be done on a intermediate device between the APs and the WLC.  

If you use reset system forced it will reload the WLC and boot up with the new software regardless of the state of the APs.  Once the APs attempt to register they will see the S/W version has changed, at which point they will reload and boot with the new software if they pre-downloaded it.   If you didn't pre-download the new software to the APs then they will reload and start downloading the new software.

You shouldn't need to disable the APs to do the software downgrade.  You should pre-download the 7.2 software to all the APs, they should all be registered, you can then validate the boot config (order) and reload the WLC so it comes up with 7.2.  If you have APs currently downloading you can wait for them to finish then reload, or you can force the reload and they should start downloading 7.2 when the WLC has rebooted.

Peter, I cannot reboot the WLC remotely while the APs are in downloading status which they will remain until I set the FW back to the backup, then shut the individual  AP switch ports, reboot the WLC, then enable the switch ports. Currently it is tedious disabling then enabling the 12 switchports.

Just looking for a command on the remote WLC to disconnect the APs so I can reboot the WLC with the FW on the backup then have the APs reconnect.

"Just looking for a command on the remote WLC to disconnect the APs so I can reboot the WLC with the FW on the backup then have the APs reconnect."

The WLC command is 'reset system forced' this does exactly what you describe.  The APs will disconnect, the WLC will reload, the APs will reconnect.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card