cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2600 AP as Repeater

N Pramod
Level 1
Level 1

Please could someone suggest me for the following. I have already working Cisco 2600 AP with Windows 2012 Radius Server not I would like to extend wireless signal by putting new Cisco 2600 AP as repeater. I have configured  new 2600 AP role as repeater under Dot11Radio0

interface Dot11Radio0
no ip address

!
encryption vlan 101 mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip
!
encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm
!
ssid xxxx-xxxxx
!
antenna gain 0
stbc
power local -4
station-role repeater
dot11 dot11r pre-authentication over-air
dot11 dot11r reassociation-time value 100

On repeater management console, I am getting below error

Unable to start supplicant on Dot11Radio0

12 Replies 12

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the example :

if both are standalone and root you need to set as root

station-role repeater    <-- check this

https://mrncciew.com/2013/01/20/autonomous-ap-repeater/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for your reply. both AP are standalone and I have configure station roles properly on root and repeater.

post complete logs .

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you so much for your priceless support, please see below configuration of both root AP and repeater AP. Once I have checked dot11 association of root ap:\

DEL-AP#show dot11 associations
802.11 Client Stations on Dot11Radio0:
SSID [LAB-DELTA] :

In repeater AP, management console, below is the event log.

Unable to start supplicant on Dot11Radio0

Looks like you haven't called out the authentication method on the repeater APs dot11 SSID section where as the root AP is using EAP for the ssid TESt-DELTA

Also the SSID in under the Dot11Radio0 is a different SSID than the one defined as its case sensitive. 

Take a look at this document:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/15-3-3/configuration/guide/cg15-3-3/cg15-3-3-chap19-wgb-standby.html#31658

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

And also don't use TKIP, only AES, or you loose 802.11n and newer rates.

Thank you so much, even after removing TKIP, repeater still showing below message 

Disabling 802.11n aggregation in WGB/Repeater/NRB mode

Thanks, i have called out authentication method on the repeater and make both SSID identical, still no luck

Hi Pramod,

Try with simple config first (means start with WPA2-AES)

Check my posts about it:

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/10/25/autonomous-ap-as-repeater-with-wpa2/

Regards

Dont forget to arte helpful posts

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for providing the reference, after testing with basic configuration root ap and repeater can communicate and wireless clients can connect to Wi Fi  network through repeater. Precisely, my main concern is, if I am enabling AAA authentication, so in this case repeater can't authenticate with root ap. Once I am changing Dot11Radio0 role as repeater, it's showing an error Disabling 802.11n aggregation in WGB/Repeater/NRB mode

Can you please post the whole configuration of both devices again?
Did you correct this line on the root?
dot11 ssid TESt-DELTA #(the t of TESt is wrong)

Also I don't see the PSK on both APs.
From the manual posted previously:
Step 6
wpa-psk { hex | ascii } [ 0 | 7 ] encryption-key
Enter a pre-shared key for the repeater.
Enter the key using either hexadecimal or ASCII characters. If you use hexadecimal, you must enter 64 hexadecimal characters to complete the 256-bit key. If you use ASCII, you must enter from 8 to 63 ASCII characters, and the access point expands the key for you.

Thanks for your reply, I am not using WPA-PSK, we are using EAP-dot1x, repeater is showing is associated with root AP but from root AP, it shows EAP authentication failure.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card