Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2800 ME - Client dropouts

Robbie2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am currently running Cisco 2800 ME version 8.8.120.0 and have 4 AIR-AP2802I-E-K9 in the environment. Since the setup has been installed we have regular reports of clients disconnecting and when they reconnect everything is fine. 

The AP's are running full POE, and when checking the AP stats, there has been no reboot, no active interferers all signs look good? I have read in some cases that random disconnects may have something to do with the WLAN timeout setting but when checking the advanced settings of the WLAN there is no option for this. 

The WLAN config is pretty straight forward, running 5Ghz only with external radius for authentication, and vlan tagging. The rest of the options are default. The switchport configuration (C9200-48P) is also pretty standard, trunk and native vlan set

Is anyone else experiencing this? 

7 Replies 7

JAYESH RAMAIYA
Level 1
Level 1

Are the devices that are connecting to the device of a similar make and model. I remember a time when I experienced drop outs, it was because a particular device only.

Yeah all laptops are HP Elitebook 830 to 850 G5 models. Hmm maybe I can see if there is a later intel wifi driver. 

There sure is a later one, Intel currently releases every 2-4 weeks a newer version.
Besides that, you might want to upgrade to 8.8.125.0 as there were some bugs connected with the 2800 (included with 3800 series) fixed:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn88mr2.html#resolved-caveats

Thanks for the info, yes there are a lot of bugs on your link. I will try the client first and then firmware. 

Unfortunately the latest Intel Drivers didnt work. Looks like its more firmware based, will post back if the latest release works any better. 

HI Rob, did you find any solution? It seems that we're experiencing the same issue, with AP 3802i in LightWeight mode and Elitebook 830-840. On the WLC is running the 8.5.151 firmware version.

Two things I can suggest here, update Intel drivers first.
Secondly, disable some features like 802.11r, 11k, 11v. They can cause such issues sometimes and aren't really required in most networks (but enabled by default in newer installations).
I also suggest to disable Client-Steering and Client-Band Select for testing.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card