Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3702i - Transmit Power Level concept

CiscoWiFiGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I Just want to ask you regarding transmit Power level setting for Cisco 3702i access point. For some Testing of WLAN Signal coverage Mockup in my my porject , i converted cisco 3702i from LAP to Autonomous.

Now as per data sheet , i can see Cisco 3702i max transmit power in both bands is 23dbm in 2.4 and 5 ghz. when i configured it as autonomous , i configured both bands to use maximum tx power which i suppose to be 23dbm.

but when i look at overall stats , its showing me that i am using 16dbm on 2.4 and 17dbm on 5 Ghz. so can you please tell me how can i test its coverage area with maximum power which is 23dbm.

i checked sh 802.11 controllers command also , all my a,b,c,d antenna is up and for 5 Ghz all antennas are up and showing all ofdm.

So can you please guide me why its happening and i am unable to use max power even manually check-mark on "max Power" option in configurations.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It's not going to show you total power. If you have all four antennas, the most you would see is 17 which is equivalent to a total power of 23.  So 16 is because of the country and the channel. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maybe this spreadsheet will explain your max TX power as it depends on antenna also and channel (5ghz)

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/channels/lwapp/reference/guide/3702e_3702i_pwr_chn.xlsx

-Scott 

-Scott

Dear Scott,

In that spreadsheet , i think for 2.4 Ghz there is no information with 4dbi antenna.

The environment in which i have tested was very ideal environment in terms of WLAN Interference Performance. I configured least congested channel as my setting and there wasn't any source of interference during testing. but still i am scratching my head , y i didnt got 23dbm as my max tx power instead i got 16dbm.

It's not going to show you total power. If you have all four antennas, the most you would see is 17 which is equivalent to a total power of 23.  So 16 is because of the country and the channel. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Dear Scott,

Thanks for your inputs. I also got one very valuable link , which can be used to better understand the power levels also.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/channels/lwapp/reference/guide/lw_chp2/1140_chp.html#wp1158612%0A 

Also Please see the attached screen shots , just for your information ;for both bands. I am using this access point ( 3702i-E-k9) in UAE Region. so please correct me if I am worng ; referring to above link and my snapshots , does that means that in any case ,using access point in this region , I will have maximum of (40mw access point tx power on 2.4Ghz and 50mw access Point tx Power on 5 Ghz band).

* for 2.4 Ghz , 16dbm = 40mw

*for 5GHz , 17dbm=50mw

Have a Nice Day!

cheers,

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card