Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 AP failover to 5520 HA pair

mark.heinemann
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have noticed that if i configure the 5520 gui with 'High Availability' entries, i see them successfuly pushed to the AP itself. I can log onto the AP  cli and "show running config ".   This is expected5520_1.JPG

But if configure the AP directly via cli with command  eg "capwap ap secondary-base nameofcontroller    x.x.x.x"

I DONT see that pushed back to the controller GUI ie field remains empty in High Availability tab

my problem: i need to configure multiple AP's with new controller addresses and via cli is the preferred way as it is faster than gui

I have a script to auto configure the AP's , but if the gui doesnt reflect the changes then its not a solution.

many thanks for any advice

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

craig.beck
Level 1
Level 1

You should be configuring the APs with primary and secondary HA details via the WLC (GUI or CLI). You don't need to do it directly on the AP simply to use the CLI.

If you do it at the WLC CLI it will show in the WLC's GUI, and on the AP.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

craig.beck
Level 1
Level 1

You should be configuring the APs with primary and secondary HA details via the WLC (GUI or CLI). You don't need to do it directly on the AP simply to use the CLI.

If you do it at the WLC CLI it will show in the WLC's GUI, and on the AP.

many thanks

yes with command:

config advanced backup-controller primary <system name>< ip_addr>

What I would do is using DHCP Option 43 or DNS pointing those AP on 3850 onto 5520 first (without configuring any primary/secondary config). This can be done simply configuring new AP mgt vlan & move those 3850 APs onto that vlan. If you currently used converged access, current AP management vlan use as wireless management vlan on switch itself. So migrating to a new vlan makes things very easy.

Once AP on 5520, you can configure high availability (primary/secondary) using WLC CLI

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi @mark.heinemann 

You can configure globally a secondary WLC with:

config advanced backup-controller primary <system name>< ip_addr>

Maybe this link can help you:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-2/config-guide/b_cg82/b_cg82_chapter_01110111.pdf

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card