cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5508 controller DHCP settings for AP WLAN Clients.

humayunkr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to configure the Cisco 5508 controller to provide DHCP IP (private range) address to the WLAN clients for the

Access Points. 

Regards,

Humayun

5 Replies 5

jyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Can you be more specific?  Are the access points on thier own vlan?  Do you have a dhcp server already active on your existing network?

Actually we have few sites and each site APs are in same VLAN (management).

And we have a dhcp server. But for the Guest VLAN we need to use the private IP

range for the Guest WALN clients.

jyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Assuming you already have the interface address for the guest vlan on the controller & associated with the SSID for the guest network, you could do two things.

1) Under the interface set the DHCP server to your current DHCP server and create a new scope on it.  I would probably do this, because it makes managing DHCP for you network a little cleaner and, because the controller does DHCP relay, the hosts on the guest network will never see the IP address of your internal network.  They will see the virtual address you configured on the controller as their DHCP server.

2) Log into the Controller and click on controller main heading.  On the left you will see internal DHCP server - click on that.  Click new and name the scope.  The scope will then appear on the right, disabled by default.  Click on the name of the scope and set all the scope options.  Set the status to enable and you should be set.  Like other Cisco devices you do not need to apply the scope to any SSID or interface.  The device knows based on the network of the scope, what interface it should be using to hand out addresses.

Ah, but what if you have users in the same building, connecting to the same AP, but selecting the SSID that suits

their department?

I have created two scopes, but cannot determine how to apply a scope per wlan.  IE, if the scopes are 10.22.216.0 and 10.22.217.0, but I need to ensure that users with SSID "ITDept" get an IP in scope 10.22.216.0 while SSID "PMO" get 10.22.217.0.

How's that accomplished?

Thanks,

Mike

It's based off the interface IP address that you have assigned to those SSID's.  So if you have an ITDept SSID it should have an interface IP address on the controller (on the VLAN for that subnet) that is in the same subnet as the scope you want it to use (ie: 10.22.216.5/24).  Cisco routers/switches are all like this.  They return a dhcp address from the pool that has the same subnet as the interface of the Vlan.

Thanks,

Rate My Post!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card