Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5508 vs Cisco 5760 WLC

CiscoWiFiGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guyz,

I have recently deployed Cisco 5508 WLC solution with 1602 and 3602 Access Points and they are doing pretty good as far as performance is concerned. Have tuned it to AVC profile ,bandwidht mgmt per ssid , ACLs etc etc

Have to design one more solution based on Cisco 5760WLC along with 2602/3602 access points. (Have no experience on Cisco 5760 WLC) but as far as data sheets are concerned i couldnot found much difference between 5508 and 5760.

So could you please comments if considering 2 products 5508 (Along with 1602 AP) and 5760(along with 2602/360s AP) which one is more efficient in terms of performance and features. ??

Only difference i felt is : 5760 support more access point / clients.

Data sheets says much but i need major difference in few lines.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Waqas,

its all per my thoughts:

Negative point:

• 5760 doesn't support HA with AP SSO in old release and 5508 supports
  • The 5760 isn’t compatible with current PI (1.3).
  • 5760 would not be managed by Prime until PI 2.0 in their January 2013 announcement on the new controllers.

Positive about 5760:

If you planning to upgrade your wireless network to gigabit wireless (802.11 ac standard) in the future?

Well, this is one of the ways 5760 wireless controller can help. 5760 wireless controller  is capable of providing 60 Gbps line-rate throughput with advanced services enabled, regardless of packet sizes, or encryption enabled or not. This is because, this controller is using three dedicated Cisco’s ASIC called “Unified Access Data Plane” (UADP) to process the traffic running through the system.

Compared to 5508 controller, the 5760 not only offers 650% more throughput but also 71% more clients (12,000 clients support), and supports 100% more AP’s (1000 APs).

flexible management solution for WLC 5760. It  can be managed in three different ways (1) Since 5760 is IOS based controller you may leverage your existing scripting tools that you use to manage Cisco routers and switches to manage this wireless controller as well (2) Using Cisco’s Prime Infrastructure (CPI) (3) Using 5760’s Web GUI.

More info:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12598/index.html

Hope it helps.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Waqas,

its all per my thoughts:

Negative point:

• 5760 doesn't support HA with AP SSO in old release and 5508 supports
  • The 5760 isn’t compatible with current PI (1.3).
  • 5760 would not be managed by Prime until PI 2.0 in their January 2013 announcement on the new controllers.

Positive about 5760:

If you planning to upgrade your wireless network to gigabit wireless (802.11 ac standard) in the future?

Well, this is one of the ways 5760 wireless controller can help. 5760 wireless controller  is capable of providing 60 Gbps line-rate throughput with advanced services enabled, regardless of packet sizes, or encryption enabled or not. This is because, this controller is using three dedicated Cisco’s ASIC called “Unified Access Data Plane” (UADP) to process the traffic running through the system.

Compared to 5508 controller, the 5760 not only offers 650% more throughput but also 71% more clients (12,000 clients support), and supports 100% more AP’s (1000 APs).

flexible management solution for WLC 5760. It  can be managed in three different ways (1) Since 5760 is IOS based controller you may leverage your existing scripting tools that you use to manage Cisco routers and switches to manage this wireless controller as well (2) Using Cisco’s Prime Infrastructure (CPI) (3) Using 5760’s Web GUI.

More info:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12598/index.html

Hope it helps.

Regards

CiscoWiFiGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks and i got your point.

Just want to ask since 5760 doesnt supports HA , then do we have to configure it in old fashion of primary and secondary controllers if i have to keep controllers in my design for redundancy purpose??

is it the scenario if primary 5760 goes down then it will take few mins for secondary to come up unlike in cisco 5508 HA based scenario??

I still didnt went through 5760 tech details so my question might sounds lil odd

So i can still say 5508 is much mature product than 5760 ??

HI Waqas,

NO..no ..HA AP SSO was not supported on old release but from release 3.3.0 and later, the 5760 controllers support stateful switchover of access points (AP SSO).

Here is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/5700/software/release/ios_xe_33/5760_HA_DG_iosXE33.html

Regards

Thanks Sandeep for your support.

Waqas,

Also check this comparision guide between controllers:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/products_category_buyers_guide.html#~controllers

may be u can get the clear overview after this guide.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: