Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9120AXI-EWC-E deployment not working

as00001111
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

I bought a C9210AXI-EWC for a small location.

I configured an ip address on Gigabit Ethernet 0.

My switchport is configured as a trunk and native vlan.

I'm not able to ping the EWC.

cdp neighbor detail on the switch is showing the ap, but no management ip address.

AP is flashing green and red in turn.

Can you tell me what's happening?

Thank you!

33 Replies 33

I configured the device via console.

I attached sh version and sh run.

When I try to convert the ewc to capwap:

EWC#wireless ewc-ap ap ap-type ap01 capwap
% Error: no ap_name exists

I will try to lab this up today or tomorrow… its a holiday here so we shall see if I get to it. One thing you need to know is that, the EWC controller will have an IP address for the ap itself and then an IP address for the controller. I use Mac address reservations for all my ap’s.
I added a screen shot of my EWC that I have running at home for an example.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for your efforts.

But in my opinion there is a hardware or software failure.

I should do a RMA.

Go for it, you might have to have TAC review what you are doing before they RMA the device, but if you run into the same issue when you get the replacement, then you know it’s probably the configuration. RMA is one variable to help isolate hardware vs configuration issue.
-Scott

So today I took a 9120i and reset the ap using the mode button. I also issued the following command from the console CLI of the ap I wanted to setup as a controller: wireless ewc-ap factory-reset You need to also make sure your ap gets a DHCP address and has reach: ability to the internet. Once I placed the ap on a vlan where there was no other controllers, the ap received a DHCP address and started to broadcast the Ciscoairprovisioning SSID. I was able to connect to the SSID and configure the EWC from my iPad. I used this simple guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/mobility-express/guide-c07-741338.html <>

Keep in mind, that this 9120 was not purchased with the EWC sky, but capwap. I did have this join another EWC cluster so I can test the “clear all configuration”, which also worked in factory resetting the ap, except for the hostname. I did not do any cli configuration which is an option, but followed the link I attached. Once the ap rebooted, I was able to login to the EWC from the DHCP IP address the 9120 recieved.
-Scott

Hi Scott,

thank you for your efforts in the last days, I really appreciate it.

I tried the method via dhcp and I noticed that the ap and the ewc pulled an ip address.

But the ssid never appeared.

I did a factory reset a couple of times.

After another reset the ssid appeared. Imo that has been pure coincidence.

At the end I managed to get the ewc running, but that has been really brutal.

I think the version 16.2.2 is also an issue.

Recommended is version 17.1.1t.

Unbelievable.

I hear you… when I first tested the EWC, it wasn’t easy as they say. What I realized is that as long as the ap did get an IP address, from the console, the SSID appeared, but when I had is on a vlan just for testing that didn’t have DHCP, the SSID never appeared. Make sure you document what you did, because if you have to ever do it again, it might be painful. I’m going to lab up various ways to setup the EWC, from CAPWAP and then when the SSID is available. We shall see when I get done with that.
-Scott

Hi

some problems to me with cisco 9115axi-ewc

only been able to connect one time! 
on your experience, do you use internal DHCP of EWC? I set an ip address but not able to ping or browse it. 
in the end do you upgrade to 17.x?

I always use static IP but I've to put the Access Point in a local
network without DHCP. Normally it's good without DHCP.

And yes, I upgrade to 17.x

Hi Ismael 

thanks

my problem is that, after a factory reset I never see again the ssid provission or ping the default 192.168.1.1 of the EWC.

Ican ping my PC , the switch, but EWC not. Very strange behaviour!

Regards

Glad you eventually got it working but my main observations:
- You used static IP for the EWC but forgot to give the AP an IP address so the AP could never join the EWC (it still has to form a CAPWAP connection to the EWC WLC).  They run like 2 separate virtual machines on the AP hardware. Like Scott says always better to use DHCP.  If you want to use specific IPs then reserve them on the DHCP server.

EWC#wireless ewc-ap ap ap-type ap01 capwap % Error: no ap_name exists
That's either because the AP wasn't joined to the EWC or ap01 was not what the AP was named. "show ap summ" would have shown which (if any) APs were joined and what their names were.

- I've never used the GUI for setup.  I start on console then SSH, then when all basic access (via LAN) is setup get on GUI to setup WiFi if you want.

- 16.2.2 is very old!  Not sure who told you that you should be using 17.1.1t but that is a standard support release which is also way out of date (effectively EOL) and will never get any bug fixes!
You should always refer to the TAC recommended link below for which release to be using - currently says  17.9.4 + SMU_CSCwh87343 + APSP (as needed) OR 17.9.4a + APSP(as needed) for all deployments.
They haven't released SMUs or APSP for EWC 17.9 so best to go for 17.9.4a
You could also go for 17.12.2 if you want the latest and greatest features (I have my EWC running that). Take note of the required upgrade path in the release notes (which of course you should always review) : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-12/rel-notes/ewc-rn-17-12-x.html#upgrade-path-to-cisco-ios-xe-dublin-17.11.x
Upgrade first to 17.3.5 or 17.6.x or later and then to 17.12.x.  Same applies to 17.9 although they forgot to mention it in the release notes!
If you don't do that you'll have problems installing the software due to incorrect flash partition sizes.

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

Do you by chance have another controller on same VLAN that management VLAN is on ? If so try changing you management VLAN to another VLAN and see it comes up. I had the same issue and after reading the install guide it states the EWC will not come up if another WLC is on the same VLAN . I had a 9800 WLC  on the same VLAN I unplugged it and the EWC starting working after I did a reload. 

Hi,

I don't have any other wlc.

Hi as00001111 !

I had this same problem when configuring a 9120AX as an EWC. Even after configuring IP and mask in Gi0 and also the Gateway address, it didn't drip.

The issue was resolved by applying the following command in global configuration mode:

EWC(config)# wireless management interface GigabitEthernet 0

After applying this command at the same time I managed to ping and manage the EWC via browser.

Hope this helps.

You saved my day, I had the same problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card