Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aeronet 2802E Antenna Question

Pripyat1583
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking for some advice regarding the physical setup for a Cisco Aeronet 2802E Access Point. This AP has portable warehouse scanners as its clients (Windows CE based), which are used along corridors (between metal racks) at a length of approx. 50m. In total, the warehouse has 10x scanners.

The compatible dual-band antennas for this device are listed in this support article, however, I do not need 5GHZ support because the warehouse scanners do not support this band - therefore, I would disable that band.

Taking this into consideration, my idea is to mount the Cisco Aeronet 2802E Access Point on the wall behind the rack and to connect two omnidirectional 2.4GHZ ANT1728 ceiling mounted antennas via a RP-TNC cable (such as AIR-CAB100ULL-R) on each side of the rack. This would allow a single AP to serve two corridors (between the racks) at the same time. I understood from this article that I can spread the antennas out in this way.

To visualise this better, I attached a picture below - the AP is marked in blue, the antennas in red.

I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to use 2.4GHZ-only antennas with this access point?
  2. Are there also 3rd party offerings for RP-TNC cables or are the official Cisco cables the best ones to go for?

Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 16.22.37.png

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My recommendation is to get a proper wireless site survey done.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card